Sep 26, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
While no one knows what the climate will be like for each of these players almost 10 months from now, Bosh believes that winning a third straight championship might make the decision to stay in Miami easier for everyone involved.
But he won’t be thinking about it until it’s necessary to do so, after this upcoming season has concluded. Because the last time he tried to focus on his impending free agency while playing for the Toronto Raptors, things didn’t work out so well.
Bosh said he is better equipped to handle the attention than the last time he was in the situation. He was a free agent with the Toronto Raptors after 2010 season before joining the Heat. He said the key is keeping focus on the current season.
“You think about it but I’m mature enough to know that if I really start to think about it, I’m going to start playing bad,” Bosh said. “Things aren’t going to go right. I’m just going to enjoy today. I’m looking forward to having a big year this year. That’s all I think about. In Toronto, it kind of messed me up. I was thinking, `What is going to happen [in the offseason]? I started struggling and then I snapped back into basketball.”
It should be a little easier for Bosh in Miami than it was in Toronto, considering he was the biggest name on the Raptors roster at the time, while the Heat have LeBron and Wade in place to take on most of the attention.
But the reality is, the questions about what the plans are for next summer are going to be there all season long, for all three players.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 18
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 9
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36