Chris Bosh says focusing on free agency in Toronto ‘messed him up’

Sep 26, 2013, 3:56 PM EST

Quincy Acy, Chris Bosh AP

As you may have heard by now, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh all have the ability to opt out of their respective contracts at the end of this season to become unrestricted free agents.

While no one knows what the climate will be like for each of these players almost 10 months from now, Bosh believes that winning a third straight championship might make the decision to stay in Miami easier for everyone involved.

But he won’t be thinking about it until it’s necessary to do so, after this upcoming season has concluded. Because the last time he tried to focus on his impending free agency while playing for the Toronto Raptors, things didn’t work out so well.

From Shandel Richardson of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:

Bosh said he is better equipped to handle the attention than the last time he was in the situation. He was a free agent with the Toronto Raptors after 2010 season before joining the Heat. He said the key is keeping focus on the current season.

“You think about it but I’m mature enough to know that if I really start to think about it, I’m going to start playing bad,” Bosh said. “Things aren’t going to go right. I’m just going to enjoy today. I’m looking forward to having a big year this year. That’s all I think about. In Toronto, it kind of messed me up. I was thinking, `What is going to happen [in the offseason]? I started struggling and then I snapped back into basketball.”

It should be a little easier for Bosh in Miami than it was in Toronto, considering he was the biggest name on the Raptors roster at the time, while the Heat have LeBron and Wade in place to take on most of the attention.

But the reality is, the questions about what the plans are for next summer are going to be there all season long, for all three players.

1. cbking05 - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM

We all knew you were confused and messed up with that hair style of yours in Toronto … Now we know you were just looking for attention

2. supremekingz - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Bosh is a great player. I think the HEAT would like him back

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

He isn’t a great player. The Heat could live without him, and probably pick up something useful with that money they pay him.

• antistratfordian - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

20.08 PER last year, son! Centers like Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah, Kevin Garnett, Marc Gasol were all looking up at a Bosh.

And his J is so wet that I and K are soaked.

And I know you saw him make championship play after championship play in Game 6. I know you saw that.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM

He’s a PF. Maybe if they played him all his minutes at the PF spot he’d be more effective and his poor rebounding wouldn’t be exposed at the Center position. Unfortunately for him, Lebron is also the best PF in the NBA, and Andersen is a better center, so there really wasn’t a place for him in certain lineups.

If we’re going to extrapolate from small sample sizes (game 6), I’ll raise you a game 7. Logically, Bosh will never score in the playoffs again because he scored 0 in that game.

3. papazoid - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

pretty simple……LeBron opts out……bosh and wade stay, cause no way they get that money again.

4. drewdatwit84 - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

@ antistratfordian

nice one. I and K get splashed on lol

and Bosh may not be the bully in the paint that everybody wants him to be, but when HE’S ON THE COURT, the odds of winning are MUCH BETTER, the way he spaces the floor and pulls centers out of the paint at times. Bosh is way more valuable than the average moron fan thinks.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches