Sep 26, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
The Heat will be gunning for a third straight title in the upcoming season, and to have a chance at it they’d have to get back to the Finals for the fourth straight season — something last achieved in the NBA by the Boston Celtics from 1984-87.
Adding to that is the looming situation that the Heat could potentially lose LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh to free agency next summer, as all three players have early termination options that would allow them to pursue other options after the season if for one reason or another that was deemed desirable.
No one knows what the future holds, and the trio will do their best to avoid discussing free agency until after the season is finished. But Bosh believes another championship run might bring with it some stability in South Beach.
BOSH: “With everybody being under contract and having no tomorrow, it’s kind of exciting because we know what we have to do for one and then, two, it’s like it helps you focus on what you need to do in that moment instead of next year or whenever. If we take care of business, we know everything is going to be all good. So, we just have to take that mentality and that kind of erases all the doubt.”
“I couldn’t believe it,” Bosh said Wednesday, speaking after the filming of a commercial for the Henry Warren Auto Group at Turnberry Isle Country Club. “I was like, `Man it’s been four years already? But we’re professionals. We know it comes with the job. We can’t do anything about it. We just have to make sure we take care of our business, stay together and just really answer the call to adversity when it comes.” …
“Everybody wants to know what we’re going to do (after the season),” Bosh said. “Yeah, I get it. Everything depends on this season. If we win, cool. If we lose, that’s when it’s like `What if?’”
Translation: It’s going to be easy to keep the team together if the Heat win a third straight title. If they fall short, depending on at which stage of the postseason and for what reason(s), then that opens the door for any of the Big Three to start to consider their options.
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 0
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24