Sep 26, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
The Heat will be gunning for a third straight title in the upcoming season, and to have a chance at it they’d have to get back to the Finals for the fourth straight season — something last achieved in the NBA by the Boston Celtics from 1984-87.
Adding to that is the looming situation that the Heat could potentially lose LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh to free agency next summer, as all three players have early termination options that would allow them to pursue other options after the season if for one reason or another that was deemed desirable.
No one knows what the future holds, and the trio will do their best to avoid discussing free agency until after the season is finished. But Bosh believes another championship run might bring with it some stability in South Beach.
BOSH: “With everybody being under contract and having no tomorrow, it’s kind of exciting because we know what we have to do for one and then, two, it’s like it helps you focus on what you need to do in that moment instead of next year or whenever. If we take care of business, we know everything is going to be all good. So, we just have to take that mentality and that kind of erases all the doubt.”
“I couldn’t believe it,” Bosh said Wednesday, speaking after the filming of a commercial for the Henry Warren Auto Group at Turnberry Isle Country Club. “I was like, `Man it’s been four years already? But we’re professionals. We know it comes with the job. We can’t do anything about it. We just have to make sure we take care of our business, stay together and just really answer the call to adversity when it comes.” …
“Everybody wants to know what we’re going to do (after the season),” Bosh said. “Yeah, I get it. Everything depends on this season. If we win, cool. If we lose, that’s when it’s like `What if?’”
Translation: It’s going to be easy to keep the team together if the Heat win a third straight title. If they fall short, depending on at which stage of the postseason and for what reason(s), then that opens the door for any of the Big Three to start to consider their options.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 82
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20