Sep 26, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
The Heat will be gunning for a third straight title in the upcoming season, and to have a chance at it they’d have to get back to the Finals for the fourth straight season — something last achieved in the NBA by the Boston Celtics from 1984-87.
Adding to that is the looming situation that the Heat could potentially lose LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh to free agency next summer, as all three players have early termination options that would allow them to pursue other options after the season if for one reason or another that was deemed desirable.
No one knows what the future holds, and the trio will do their best to avoid discussing free agency until after the season is finished. But Bosh believes another championship run might bring with it some stability in South Beach.
BOSH: “With everybody being under contract and having no tomorrow, it’s kind of exciting because we know what we have to do for one and then, two, it’s like it helps you focus on what you need to do in that moment instead of next year or whenever. If we take care of business, we know everything is going to be all good. So, we just have to take that mentality and that kind of erases all the doubt.”
“I couldn’t believe it,” Bosh said Wednesday, speaking after the filming of a commercial for the Henry Warren Auto Group at Turnberry Isle Country Club. “I was like, `Man it’s been four years already? But we’re professionals. We know it comes with the job. We can’t do anything about it. We just have to make sure we take care of our business, stay together and just really answer the call to adversity when it comes.” …
“Everybody wants to know what we’re going to do (after the season),” Bosh said. “Yeah, I get it. Everything depends on this season. If we win, cool. If we lose, that’s when it’s like `What if?’”
Translation: It’s going to be easy to keep the team together if the Heat win a third straight title. If they fall short, depending on at which stage of the postseason and for what reason(s), then that opens the door for any of the Big Three to start to consider their options.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20