Sep 25, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• A while back, the Dallas Mavericks asked fans to submit their own ideas for a Dallas Mavericks jersey design via mavs.com and on crowdSPRING.com. People were into it and they got more than 1,000 responses. Now Dallas says Mark Cuban himself has picked out his 12 favorites (I’m sure he did that all by himself without any help from his minions) and you can vote for your favorite. Whatever uniform wins the fan vote will become part of the team rotation in the 2015-16 season. So Mavs fans go vote for your favorite, Mavs haters go vote for the ugliest one. Your call.
• Fantastic list of the best twitter follows on each team.
• Great news that NBA TV is bringing back “Inside Stuff.” For those that don’t remember, back in the 1990s/Jordan era NBC’s “Inside Stuff” was must watch for hoops fans, giving you the kind of fun and news now you come to sites like this for. Grant Hill is the new host and there will be a show a week during the season. The show is going to have to evolve — the Internet made highlight shows obsolete — but this could be good, and if nothing else it’s nostalgic.
• Shaquille O’Neal likes to lift women over his head, apparently.
• No, Jason Collins does not have a training camp invite. I think this is purely a basketball thing and nothing more — Collins is an older center who brings you good picks, some rebounds and defense in the post but little more. Most teams would rather fill one of those last roster spots with a young player they can potentially develop than a situational-use big man.
• Who was the league’s biggest gunner in garbage time last year? Of course it was J.R. Smith. What else did you expect?
• New Bobcats coach Steve Clifford is an old-school straight shooter.
• Remembering Larry Johnson’s legendary four-point play.
• Celtics big man Vitor Faverani is battling some plantar fasciitis, which is not good news before training camp even starts.
• The Wizards have invited Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Josh Childress, Xavier Silas, and D’or Fischer to training camp.
• Utah has waived guard Jerel McNeal.
• Utah also invited point guard Scott Machado to training camp.
• Kevin Durant swung by the Dan Patrick Show today and talked about his offseason, how he loved Barcelona, and how Lambeau Field blew him away. By the way, Durant seems himself as a quarterback more than a receiver. I’m not sure he was really gifted with a football build.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9