Lamar Odom posts statement to address comments made by his father

Sep 25, 2013, 7:59 AM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

If you’re at all a fan of professional basketball, then virtually all of this summer’s news involving Lamar Odom has been nothing short of painful to watch.

Odom was a special talent in this league, and when engaged could perform at the game’s highest levels. He took home  the Sixth Man of the Year award in his final season with the Lakers, before personal problems resulted in him being traded to Dallas, where he didn’t even manage to finish the season during a brief stint where he did little more than anger those who followed the team closely.

Last season, Odom played a small role in the Clippers’ underwhelming exit from the first round of the playoffs at the hands of the Grizzlies. But he has yet to catch on with a team for the upcoming season, and there have been reports of drug use to go along with a DUI arrest that occurred in recent weeks.

As Odom’s downward spiral becomes more and more public, those close to him feel the need to speak out. His father, who Odom has very little contact with, recently gave an interview to share his opinions about what’s going on with his son. But Odom himself wants nothing to do with that part of his past, and took to Twitter for the first time in more than two and a half months to make a statement refuting these latest remarks.

Won’t continue 2 speak on this but I have got 2 let this out real quick. I have let this man and many others get away with a lot of shit. He wasn’t there 2 raise me. He was absent ALL of my life due to his own demons. My mother and grandmother raised me. Queens raised me. For the first time since they left, came a blessing of a FAMILY that I married into. FAMILY. That man wasn’t even invited to my wedding. He has never met my mother in law and some of my other family. How can a man who has NOT once called me to check on my well being have the nerve to talk so recklessly about his own “son”. He is my downfall! His own demons may be the ONLY thing he gave 2 me. He disrespecting the ONLY FAMILY that has loved me without expecting anything in return. They are the ONLY ones that have been here consistently 4 me during this dark time. Only person 2 blame is myself. Say what you want about me but leave the ones who have done nothing but protect and love me out of this! This goes to out to everyone!

It’s heartbreaking, honestly. But it gives us a glimpse into the emotional struggle Odom has been going through during this difficult time.

Latest Posts
  1. Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1

Apr 20, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT

Nene, Carlos Boozer Nene, Carlos Boozer

Nene gets his first start since February and the Wizards steal Game 1.

2. Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win

Apr 20, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT

Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh

Bobcats were scrappy, but with Al Jefferson hurting Miami just had too much LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

3. Gregg Popovich interview with Craig Sager Jr. actually a get-well wish (VIDEO)

Apr 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT

popovich sager1

Touching moment as Gregg Popovich delivers a heartfelt message.

4. Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks

Apr 20, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT

Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan

Spurs close the game on a 19-4 run after trailing by double digits.

5. NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors

Apr 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Chris Paul, Draymond Green Chris Paul, Draymond Green

Statement confirms referees handled replay review correctly, but also admits that they missed the initial foul call on a critical possession.

6. Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’

Apr 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Jim Buss Jim Buss

If Jim Buss fails to deliver in quickly rebuilding the Lakers, he says he’ll resign.

7. Hibbert says he’s the “weak link on defense,” hopes for better Game 2

Apr 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game One Getty Images

Roy Hibbert owned up to a poor Game 1. Will he do anything about it in Game 2 is the question.

8. Raptors say malfunctioning shot clocks will be fixed in time for Game 2 vs. Nets

Apr 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

raptors shot clock

Shot clocks stopped working midway through the third quarter, but Raptors say all will be well in time for Game 2.

9. Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies

Apr 20, 2014, 12:44 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game One Getty Images

OKC led by as many as 25 points in the first half.

10. Kyle Korver swats Roy Hibbert’s shot out of bounds (VIDEO)

Apr 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks - Game Four Getty Images

Roy Hibbert wasn’t good in Game 1 against the Hawks, and this play epitomized his performance.

11. Pacers’ troubles continue as Hawks convincingly win Game 1

Apr 19, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT

Pacers' Hibbert looks down court during Game 6 of their NBA Eastern Conference Final basketball playoff series against the Heat in Indianapolis Reuters

The eight-seed Hawks blowout the Pacers in Game 1.

12. Warriors take Game 1 from Clippers

Apr 19, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT

Stephen Curry Stephen Curry

Warriors steal Game 1 in Los Angeles.

13. Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road

Apr 19, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors guard Kyle Lowry (7) battles under the hoop with Brooklyn Nets centre Kevin Garnett (2) but they couldn't get it done as the Nets won 94-87 Getty Images

Playoff games are played in the halfcourt and the Nets owned that in Game 1.

14. Raptors GM Masai Ujiri screams ‘F— Brooklyn’ to crowd at rally before Game 1 vs. Nets (VIDEO)

Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT

Masai Ujiri AP

A rare and raw show of emotion from a team’s GM was caught on camera.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview