Lamar Odom posts statement to address comments made by his father

Sep 25, 2013, 7:59 AM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

If you’re at all a fan of professional basketball, then virtually all of this summer’s news involving Lamar Odom has been nothing short of painful to watch.

Odom was a special talent in this league, and when engaged could perform at the game’s highest levels. He took home  the Sixth Man of the Year award in his final season with the Lakers, before personal problems resulted in him being traded to Dallas, where he didn’t even manage to finish the season during a brief stint where he did little more than anger those who followed the team closely.

Last season, Odom played a small role in the Clippers’ underwhelming exit from the first round of the playoffs at the hands of the Grizzlies. But he has yet to catch on with a team for the upcoming season, and there have been reports of drug use to go along with a DUI arrest that occurred in recent weeks.

As Odom’s downward spiral becomes more and more public, those close to him feel the need to speak out. His father, who Odom has very little contact with, recently gave an interview to share his opinions about what’s going on with his son. But Odom himself wants nothing to do with that part of his past, and took to Twitter for the first time in more than two and a half months to make a statement refuting these latest remarks.

Won’t continue 2 speak on this but I have got 2 let this out real quick. I have let this man and many others get away with a lot of shit. He wasn’t there 2 raise me. He was absent ALL of my life due to his own demons. My mother and grandmother raised me. Queens raised me. For the first time since they left, came a blessing of a FAMILY that I married into. FAMILY. That man wasn’t even invited to my wedding. He has never met my mother in law and some of my other family. How can a man who has NOT once called me to check on my well being have the nerve to talk so recklessly about his own “son”. He is my downfall! His own demons may be the ONLY thing he gave 2 me. He disrespecting the ONLY FAMILY that has loved me without expecting anything in return. They are the ONLY ones that have been here consistently 4 me during this dark time. Only person 2 blame is myself. Say what you want about me but leave the ones who have done nothing but protect and love me out of this! This goes to out to everyone!

It’s heartbreaking, honestly. But it gives us a glimpse into the emotional struggle Odom has been going through during this difficult time.

Latest Posts
  1. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

2. Kings waive Wayne Ellington

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Ellington, acquired in trade from Knicks, likely stretched

3. Pacers to sign Chris Singleton

Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

chris-singleton Getty Images

Former Wizard provides depth at small forward following Paul George’s injury

4. Mason Plumlee wants you to know Duke, Nike had nothing to do with him making Team USA

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Finland v USA Getty Images

“If you were at our practices and our training camp, anybody that was there, they would see why I made the team.” —Mason Plumlee

5. Elephant dunks a basketball?

Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Elephant dunks a basketball.

6. Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold

Sep 1, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Boston Celtics Getty Images

This makes more sense, but he could get moved near the deadline.

7. Report: Clippers close to deal with Chris Douglas-Roberts

Sep 1, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal

This would be a solid pickup for the bench, especially at the league minimum.

8. Heat demote two assistants to hire Juwan Howard

Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Ron Rothstein and Bob McAdoo lose bench spots, could stay with Miami

9. Kevin Durant confirms he is staying with Nike

Sep 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

12-390_Nike_KDV_Upper_Detail-02_original

This is a win for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation.

10. James Harden with more bad defense in USA’s win over Turkey (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

Harden’s reputation on the defensive end of the floor continues to grow.

11. Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Whether he asked out or not doesn’t really change his situation much.

12. Report: Hedo Turkoglu nearing free agent deal to return to Clippers

Aug 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Turkoglu didn’t do much in L.A. last year, but Chris Paul recently touted the importance of consistency in the Clippers’ chances for success next season.

13. James Harden’s four-point play vs. Turkey (VIDEO)

Aug 31, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT

James Harden James Harden

James Harden makes the PUJIT work for him.

14. Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup

Aug 31, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

The energy of Kenneth Faried helped Team USA pull away in the second half.

15. Report: Kings finalizing deal to trade Jason Terry to Rockets

Aug 31, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Newly acquired Brooklyn Net's NBA player Jason Terry smiles as he is introduced to the media during a news conference in Brooklyn Reuters

Terry was never going to be a fit in Sacramento, but could be a nice veteran addition for a Rockets team that plans on contending next season.

16. Report: Grizzlies waive Jamaal Franklin

Aug 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Jamaal Franklin Jamaal Franklin

Franklin only played one NBA season, but this will open up a roster spot in Memphis.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches