Lamar Odom posts statement to address comments made by his father

Sep 25, 2013, 7:59 AM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

If you’re at all a fan of professional basketball, then virtually all of this summer’s news involving Lamar Odom has been nothing short of painful to watch.

Odom was a special talent in this league, and when engaged could perform at the game’s highest levels. He took home  the Sixth Man of the Year award in his final season with the Lakers, before personal problems resulted in him being traded to Dallas, where he didn’t even manage to finish the season during a brief stint where he did little more than anger those who followed the team closely.

Last season, Odom played a small role in the Clippers’ underwhelming exit from the first round of the playoffs at the hands of the Grizzlies. But he has yet to catch on with a team for the upcoming season, and there have been reports of drug use to go along with a DUI arrest that occurred in recent weeks.

As Odom’s downward spiral becomes more and more public, those close to him feel the need to speak out. His father, who Odom has very little contact with, recently gave an interview to share his opinions about what’s going on with his son. But Odom himself wants nothing to do with that part of his past, and took to Twitter for the first time in more than two and a half months to make a statement refuting these latest remarks.

Won’t continue 2 speak on this but I have got 2 let this out real quick. I have let this man and many others get away with a lot of shit. He wasn’t there 2 raise me. He was absent ALL of my life due to his own demons. My mother and grandmother raised me. Queens raised me. For the first time since they left, came a blessing of a FAMILY that I married into. FAMILY. That man wasn’t even invited to my wedding. He has never met my mother in law and some of my other family. How can a man who has NOT once called me to check on my well being have the nerve to talk so recklessly about his own “son”. He is my downfall! His own demons may be the ONLY thing he gave 2 me. He disrespecting the ONLY FAMILY that has loved me without expecting anything in return. They are the ONLY ones that have been here consistently 4 me during this dark time. Only person 2 blame is myself. Say what you want about me but leave the ones who have done nothing but protect and love me out of this! This goes to out to everyone!

It’s heartbreaking, honestly. But it gives us a glimpse into the emotional struggle Odom has been going through during this difficult time.

Latest Posts
  1. And-1 Links: League Pass alert — Ben McLemore is the new Pizza Guy

Sep 16, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT

Isaiah Thomas pizza guy

Nick Young’s girlfriend Iggy Azalea is better at trick shots than you.

2. Report: Dirk Nowitzki to play in EuroBasket 2015, which is 2016 Olympics qualifier

Sep 16, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Mark Cuban, Dirk Nowitzki Getty Images

Germany qualifying for the Olympics, even with Nowitzki, is an uphill battle.

3. Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book

Sep 16, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

Tim Duncan Punisher

Guaranteed Duncan likes this better than another trip to the All-Star Game.

4. Bulls officially sign E’Twaun Moore, he’s likely to stick with team

Sep 16, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT

Mason Plumlee, E'Twaun Moore Mason Plumlee, E'Twaun Moore

Half his salary the first year is guaranteed, a sign he is expected to make the final roster.

5. Report: Glenn Robinson III signs guaranteed deal with Timberwolves

Sep 16, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT

Zach LaVine and Glen Robinson III of the Minnesota Timberwolves Portraits

The guaranteed deal is huge but the Wolves are deep at the three. He’ll struggle to get minutes.

6. Kings retiring Peja Stojakovic’s number

Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT

Peja Stojakovic Peja Stojakovic

Stojakovic’s 3-point bombing made Sacramento better for quite some time

7. Andrei Kirilenko wants Lionel Hollins to play him more than Jason Kidd did

Sep 16, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Andrei Kirilenko Andrei Kirilenko

Kirilenko played by far career-low 19 minutes per game last season

8. 67RIEFNS No. 4: Andrew Wiggins vs. Jabari Parker

Sep 16, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins

No. 1 and No. 2 picks in the NBA draft square off against each other, expectations

9. Steve Clifford sees Marvin Williams as primarily stretch four with Hornets

Sep 16, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Josh McRoberts, Marvin Williams Josh McRoberts, Marvin Williams

Williams, who plays both forward positions, now favorite to replace Josh McRoberts in starting lineup

10. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks

Sep 16, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Derek Fisher Derek Fisher

Plenty of changes, but enough to make the playoffs?

11. Report: Spurs open to signing-and-trading Aron Baynes

Sep 16, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Patty Mills Foot Locker In Store Appearance Getty Images

San Antonio already has 17 players, qualifying offer out to Baynes

12. Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant

Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Bill Duffy: ‘Klay Thompson right now is the top two-way, two-guard in basketball’

13. Deron Williams says after surgery his ankles feel the best they have in years

Sep 16, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Deron Williams AP

Deron Williams opening the season healthy would be huge… but just the start of what they need from him.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches