Lamar Odom posts statement to address comments made by his father

Sep 25, 2013, 7:59 AM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

If you’re at all a fan of professional basketball, then virtually all of this summer’s news involving Lamar Odom has been nothing short of painful to watch.

Odom was a special talent in this league, and when engaged could perform at the game’s highest levels. He took home  the Sixth Man of the Year award in his final season with the Lakers, before personal problems resulted in him being traded to Dallas, where he didn’t even manage to finish the season during a brief stint where he did little more than anger those who followed the team closely.

Last season, Odom played a small role in the Clippers’ underwhelming exit from the first round of the playoffs at the hands of the Grizzlies. But he has yet to catch on with a team for the upcoming season, and there have been reports of drug use to go along with a DUI arrest that occurred in recent weeks.

As Odom’s downward spiral becomes more and more public, those close to him feel the need to speak out. His father, who Odom has very little contact with, recently gave an interview to share his opinions about what’s going on with his son. But Odom himself wants nothing to do with that part of his past, and took to Twitter for the first time in more than two and a half months to make a statement refuting these latest remarks.

Won’t continue 2 speak on this but I have got 2 let this out real quick. I have let this man and many others get away with a lot of shit. He wasn’t there 2 raise me. He was absent ALL of my life due to his own demons. My mother and grandmother raised me. Queens raised me. For the first time since they left, came a blessing of a FAMILY that I married into. FAMILY. That man wasn’t even invited to my wedding. He has never met my mother in law and some of my other family. How can a man who has NOT once called me to check on my well being have the nerve to talk so recklessly about his own “son”. He is my downfall! His own demons may be the ONLY thing he gave 2 me. He disrespecting the ONLY FAMILY that has loved me without expecting anything in return. They are the ONLY ones that have been here consistently 4 me during this dark time. Only person 2 blame is myself. Say what you want about me but leave the ones who have done nothing but protect and love me out of this! This goes to out to everyone!

It’s heartbreaking, honestly. But it gives us a glimpse into the emotional struggle Odom has been going through during this difficult time.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Dwight Howard to attend Team USA mini-camp after all

Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

This is the right move, whether he decides to play in Rio or not.

2. Watch Karl-Anthony Towns highlights from Summer League

Jul 31, 2015, 11:08 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

He looks like a guy who can live up to the No. 1 pick billing.

3. Pelicans waive Toney Douglas, still await Norris Cole decision

Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Norris Cole is still looking for a bigger payday.

4. Pacers’ Jordan Hill arrested for reckless driving, clocked at 107 mph

Jul 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Hill told the police he was “in a hurry.” I guess so.

5. Warriors trade Gerald Wallace to Philadelphia in exchange for Jason Thompson

Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Neither guy is going to make a difference on the court for these teams. This was just moving some money around.

6. Trail Blazers guarantee Allen Crabbe’s contract for next season

Jul 31, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT

LV Celtics v Trailblazers Getty Images

Crabbe looked good in Las Vegas at Summer League.

7. Report: Hedo Turkoglu wants to play anther NBA season, Kings possiblity

Jul 31, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings don’t really have the roster spot for him.

8. Grizzlies’ D-League affiliate hires female assistant coach

Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT

NBA.com NBA.com

Iowa Energy add Nicki Gross to coaching staff

9. Report: Joe Johnson “pumped” that Deron Williams bought out by Nets

Jul 31, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

joe johnson nets sleeved alternates

Johnson makes $24.9 million, but this is the last year of his contract.

10. Report: Knicks to sign Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Jul 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

20141220 Westchester Knicks at Maine Red Claws Getty Images

New York drafted Giannis Antetokounmpo’s brother last year

11. Report: 76ers second-rounder J.P. Tokoto won’t sign with Philadelphia

Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

No. 58 pick will reportedly head overseas or to D-League

12. Knicks waive Ricky Ledo

Jul 31, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Ricky Ledo AP

Guard didn’t show much in short stint in New York

13. NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure

Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nzjmmwjlotdhnzrhn2iwytixngrhnwi2yzqwyjzk AP

“One thing to come out of this will be more camps, more clinics, more games, more youth competition, and from that you get into infrastructure, and building more courts.” —Masai Ujiri, Raptors GM and native Nigerian

14. Mark Cuban says trading for Rajon Rondo was tough call, “came down to a coin flip”

Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

“And the coin flip was as much about, is there going to be anything else that we could do? Because we knew we had to do something.” —Mark Cuban on trading for Rajon Rondo.

15. Pau Gasol on Fred Hoiberg: “I think we’ll play with a better flow offensively”

Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Pau Gasol Pau Gasol

Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Bryant (2575)
  2. B. Haywood (1990)
  3. M. Miller (1840)
  4. I. Thomas (1830)
  5. L. James (1735)
  1. N. Young (1670)
  2. J. Smith (1606)
  3. S. Napier (1596)
  4. T. Thompson (1541)
  5. G. Robinson III (1465)