Lamar Odom posts statement to address comments made by his father

Sep 25, 2013, 7:59 AM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

If you’re at all a fan of professional basketball, then virtually all of this summer’s news involving Lamar Odom has been nothing short of painful to watch.

Odom was a special talent in this league, and when engaged could perform at the game’s highest levels. He took home  the Sixth Man of the Year award in his final season with the Lakers, before personal problems resulted in him being traded to Dallas, where he didn’t even manage to finish the season during a brief stint where he did little more than anger those who followed the team closely.

Last season, Odom played a small role in the Clippers’ underwhelming exit from the first round of the playoffs at the hands of the Grizzlies. But he has yet to catch on with a team for the upcoming season, and there have been reports of drug use to go along with a DUI arrest that occurred in recent weeks.

As Odom’s downward spiral becomes more and more public, those close to him feel the need to speak out. His father, who Odom has very little contact with, recently gave an interview to share his opinions about what’s going on with his son. But Odom himself wants nothing to do with that part of his past, and took to Twitter for the first time in more than two and a half months to make a statement refuting these latest remarks.

Won’t continue 2 speak on this but I have got 2 let this out real quick. I have let this man and many others get away with a lot of shit. He wasn’t there 2 raise me. He was absent ALL of my life due to his own demons. My mother and grandmother raised me. Queens raised me. For the first time since they left, came a blessing of a FAMILY that I married into. FAMILY. That man wasn’t even invited to my wedding. He has never met my mother in law and some of my other family. How can a man who has NOT once called me to check on my well being have the nerve to talk so recklessly about his own “son”. He is my downfall! His own demons may be the ONLY thing he gave 2 me. He disrespecting the ONLY FAMILY that has loved me without expecting anything in return. They are the ONLY ones that have been here consistently 4 me during this dark time. Only person 2 blame is myself. Say what you want about me but leave the ones who have done nothing but protect and love me out of this! This goes to out to everyone!

It’s heartbreaking, honestly. But it gives us a glimpse into the emotional struggle Odom has been going through during this difficult time.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Sixers to select D’Angelo Russell in 2015 NBA Draft

Apr 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Ohio State v Indiana AP

“He’s the guy they want,” the report says.

2. LaMarcus Aldridge flew back to Portland after Game 2 loss while rest of Blazers stayed in Memphis

Apr 26, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three

Players were given the option by the team’s GM, but Aldridge — who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — was the only one who chose to leave.

3. Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead

Apr 26, 2015, 2:37 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Memphis’ offense was the best it has looked this series.

4. Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner

Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Milwaukee forced 26 Chicago turnovers, a season high.

5. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets

Apr 25, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT

Sean Corbin, Rick Carlisle Sean Corbin, Rick Carlisle

“The officials [have] got to get that stuff under control, because there’s too much physical stuff going on. Howard is throwing people all over the place,” Carlisle said.

6. Kawhi Leonard puts up 32 spot on Clippers (VIDEO)

Apr 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v San Antonio Spurs - Game Three Getty Images

The Spurs are Kawhi Leonard’s team now.

Stephen Curry starting to define playoff legacy
Top 10 NBA Player Searches