Lamar Odom posts statement to address comments made by his father

Sep 25, 2013, 7:59 AM EST

Lamar Odom AP

If you’re at all a fan of professional basketball, then virtually all of this summer’s news involving Lamar Odom has been nothing short of painful to watch.

Odom was a special talent in this league, and when engaged could perform at the game’s highest levels. He took home  the Sixth Man of the Year award in his final season with the Lakers, before personal problems resulted in him being traded to Dallas, where he didn’t even manage to finish the season during a brief stint where he did little more than anger those who followed the team closely.

Last season, Odom played a small role in the Clippers’ underwhelming exit from the first round of the playoffs at the hands of the Grizzlies. But he has yet to catch on with a team for the upcoming season, and there have been reports of drug use to go along with a DUI arrest that occurred in recent weeks.

As Odom’s downward spiral becomes more and more public, those close to him feel the need to speak out. His father, who Odom has very little contact with, recently gave an interview to share his opinions about what’s going on with his son. But Odom himself wants nothing to do with that part of his past, and took to Twitter for the first time in more than two and a half months to make a statement refuting these latest remarks.

Won’t continue 2 speak on this but I have got 2 let this out real quick. I have let this man and many others get away with a lot of shit. He wasn’t there 2 raise me. He was absent ALL of my life due to his own demons. My mother and grandmother raised me. Queens raised me. For the first time since they left, came a blessing of a FAMILY that I married into. FAMILY. That man wasn’t even invited to my wedding. He has never met my mother in law and some of my other family. How can a man who has NOT once called me to check on my well being have the nerve to talk so recklessly about his own “son”. He is my downfall! His own demons may be the ONLY thing he gave 2 me. He disrespecting the ONLY FAMILY that has loved me without expecting anything in return. They are the ONLY ones that have been here consistently 4 me during this dark time. Only person 2 blame is myself. Say what you want about me but leave the ones who have done nothing but protect and love me out of this! This goes to out to everyone!

It’s heartbreaking, honestly. But it gives us a glimpse into the emotional struggle Odom has been going through during this difficult time.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Mavericks, Heat in long line of teams interested in JaVale McGee

Mar 3, 2015, 5:50 PM EST

JaVale McGee JaVale McGee

The list for him is much longer than just two teams. Much longer.

2. Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach

Mar 3, 2015, 5:08 PM EST

Kenneth Faried, Brian Shaw AP

What kind of team are they trying to build.

3. Kyrie Irving a gametime decision for Cavaliers vs. Celtics

Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Irving has missed two straight games with a shoulder strain.

4. Pacers’ David West on Nuggets firing Brian Shaw: ‘That’s bullsh-t. No grownups on the roster.’

Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Shaw was an assistant coach in Indiana before landing the head coaching spot in Denver.

5. Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw

Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Nuggets are 20-39 this season.

6. Matt Barnes says if he was the one who kicked LeBron, league would have tried to put him in jail

Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Barnes isn’t wrong that the punishment for him doing something like this would have been much more severe.

7. J.J. Redick ejected for complaining to officials, says Flip Saunders told him to ‘shut the f— up’

Mar 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski

Clippers have a reputation with the referees, which likely was why Redick was tossed for seemingly innocuous comments.

8. Kevin Garnett gets into it with Austin Rivers, double technicals issued (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Kevin Garnett, Bennett Salvatore AP

KG played for Doc Rivers on the Celtics’ 2008 title team, but wasn’t willing to take any grief from his son.

9. This is one serious basketball brawl from Spanish league (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Anadolu Efes Istanbul v Laboral Kutxa Vitoria - Turkish Airlines Euroleague Top 16 Getty Images

That had 10 times the punches of an NBA “fight.”

10. Chris Paul, Ricky Rubio had fun point guard battle Monday (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Ricky Rubio, Chris Paul Ricky Rubio, Chris Paul

Ricky Rubio got the triple-double, CP3 will take the win.

11. Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form

Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 AM EST

Goran Dragic Goran Dragic

Goran Dragic would have sat out with back pain against anyone else, but he dropped 21 on the Suns.

12. Zach LaVine was dunking all over the Clippers (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 1:14 AM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

Zach LaVine can get up. But you already knew that.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches