Jim, Jeanie Buss release statements saying they are past Phil Jackson drama

Sep 25, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Dwight Howard Getty Images

Jeanie Buss updated her autobiography “Laker Girl” recently to talk in some detail about how the entire Lakers hiring process that teased fans with Phil Jackson and landed on Mike D’Antoni.  Buss said she was “stunned” and the incident almost sapped her passion for her job — the Lakers’ owner in charge of the business side of the operation — plus left her and her brother with a rocky relationship.

However, that was almost a year ago, the two are past that now and and are working very well together. Nothing to see here, move along (at least that’s the company line).

In the wake of the Los Angeles Times excerpt from the Buss memoir over the weekend, Jim and Jeanie Buss each released statements.

Jim Buss said:

“The words and sentiments in Jeanie’s new book reflect her feelings and frustrations nearly a year ago, and how she felt at that time. I understand that Jeanie felt that way, and why she felt that way. Since that time, we have discussed the situation, the circumstances that led to it, and our feelings about it. Both of us feel this has been resolved and have put this behind us.”

Jeanie Buss said:

“Jim has been great in terms of understanding my feelings about this and in fostering an atmosphere that has led to better communication. We have regular meetings and talks and are both committed to creating the best working environment possible, as are my sister and other brothers as well. We are focused only on what is best for the franchise and in making the Lakers championship contenders.”

Reports from around the Lakers have been that the Buss family is starting to find a system of working together that works for all of them. They are communicating better and have weekly meetings that go over every aspect of the Laker business (which is the lone family business at this point).

We’ll see how that ends up manifesting itself on the court (this is clearly a transition year for the team). It’s understandable that it would take the family some time to figure out how to make their complex business relationship work for everyone.

As I’ve said before, hiring Mike D’Antoni and losing Dwight Howard will not define the legacy of Jim Buss and this family, but what they do next will. They are building the foundation of their legacy in the next few years. We’ll see how that turns out, but at least the family is talking.

1. spthegr8 - Sep 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Can somebody PLEASE move this Dead Horse Outta the way so we can ALL move on?!?!?!?!?!!

2. logisticalvoices - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

spthegr8
    Sep 25, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
    ———
    Yet you read the article and took the time to comment? Want Laker articles to go away? Stop clicking on them!

• spthegr8 - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

@logistical
      You are correct. Which is why I haven’t been commenting on all of the D12/ Laker article’s. But Maaaaaannnnnn!!! When is enough, ENOUGH??? I don’t want Laker article’s to go away, I want OLD STORIES to go away!! Speaking of Enough of something. Here you are, AGAIN……Swinging on my ISH!! Seem’s I have a little internet stalker. Which doesn’t bother me but it’s a little creepy!!

• titan1971 - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Just another slow news day. Not enought happening until training camp starts.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

LOL!

3. hungryhungryhibbert - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

It’s embarrassing they are related to the great dr. Bus

4. wtfruthinkn - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

“As I’ve said before, hiring Mike D’Antoni and losing Dwight Howard will not define the legacy of Jim Buss and this family, but what they do next will.”

Well if this is true, Jim’s legacy will be slightly less successful than Rupert Murdoch & Frank McCourt’s…

• asimonetti88 - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Slightly less successful than Rupert Murdoch would be pretty good. Building an international multibillion media and entertainment network is not an easy thing to do.

• wtfruthinkn - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

But running a historic sports franchise into the ground while losing money in the process is not.

5. antistratfordian - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Drama.

6. vi3tguy415 - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

hiring Mike D’Antoni and losing Dwight Howard will not define the legacy of Jim Buss “. ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR DAMN MIND KURT? It already made a big dent on his legacy..if there is any. It costs them a chance to compete. wasting Kobe’s last few years of greatness. Lost Dwight, who should be an anchor for the franchise. This upcoming season and the next will not go anywhere. you telling me it will not define his legacy? think before you write man..

7. vi3tguy415 - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

hey kurt. the whole point of writing an article is to have people commenting on your work. if you cant take criticism , please don’t write. if I say ” are you out of your damn mind” and you would block my comment, then u r a tool/IDIOT

• Kurt Helin - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I only block stuff with curse words, derogatory language in the like. However, some comments are held for moderation and it may take a while for me to get to approving them (more than 100 a day are held, on average).

Don’t take it personally, but I don’t care what you think about me.

8. onlyavoice - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM

She Has To Schedule A Meeting To Talk To Her Brother.
    I Doubt He Cares What She Says, His Ego Is High On Cocaine.
    Lakers Are Doomed For Years To Come.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches