Sep 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
LaMarcus Aldridge is a two-time All-Star who last season averaged 21 points and 9 rebounds a game. He has a variety of moves he can use to score from the post, has a turnaround jumper that is deadly and unblockable, he has a midrange game you have to respect (he shot 42 percent from the midrange last season), and his length and quickness make him a good defender on the perimeter for someone his size.
Bobcats GM Rich Cho said this week he thinks rookie Cody Zeller can be like Aldridge.
No pressure kid.
Cho said the NBA player Zeller reminds him of most is Portland Trail Blazer LaMarcus Aldridge….
“He’s a pretty unique player with his size – a legit 7-foot – and he can run as well as any 7-footer out there. He can hit a perimeter shot; 18-20 feet and out beyond the arc. He has a very, very high basketball IQ.”
In college Zeller wasn’t asked to show off much of his midrange skills but they were a revelation at Summer League when he played an inside out role and did it well, to the tune of 16.3 points a game on 52 percent shooting.
He’s going to play that same role for the Bobcats, where Al Jefferson will set up camp in the low block and own that space. Zeller shows he has the skills to do it.
But he’s still a long way from the production Aldridge shows. That’s a lofty goal.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49