Sep 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
LaMarcus Aldridge is a two-time All-Star who last season averaged 21 points and 9 rebounds a game. He has a variety of moves he can use to score from the post, has a turnaround jumper that is deadly and unblockable, he has a midrange game you have to respect (he shot 42 percent from the midrange last season), and his length and quickness make him a good defender on the perimeter for someone his size.
Bobcats GM Rich Cho said this week he thinks rookie Cody Zeller can be like Aldridge.
No pressure kid.
Cho said the NBA player Zeller reminds him of most is Portland Trail Blazer LaMarcus Aldridge….
“He’s a pretty unique player with his size – a legit 7-foot – and he can run as well as any 7-footer out there. He can hit a perimeter shot; 18-20 feet and out beyond the arc. He has a very, very high basketball IQ.”
In college Zeller wasn’t asked to show off much of his midrange skills but they were a revelation at Summer League when he played an inside out role and did it well, to the tune of 16.3 points a game on 52 percent shooting.
He’s going to play that same role for the Bobcats, where Al Jefferson will set up camp in the low block and own that space. Zeller shows he has the skills to do it.
But he’s still a long way from the production Aldridge shows. That’s a lofty goal.
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 0
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 4
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40