Sep 24, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Well, the good news is Avery Bradley is healthy and ready for training camp to start.
That’s particularly good because he could be playing the point for the first couple months of the season, sharing time with rookie Phil Pressey.
All that because Rajon Rondo could be out until December.
In an interview with other reporters after the radio spot, Ainge backed away from the December timeline and simply said there is no timetable. As we’ve said before (about Rondo and other injured players) you can bet there is a timetable, teams are just not releasing them now. It sounds like Ainge let this one slip.
He said Rondo would still be a leader on this team.
It was expected to be a difficult year for the Celtics, this simply adds to it. The Celtics are going to get to test their young players — Ainge listed Avery Bradley Jeff Green and Jared Sullinger as potential leaders — but this is going to be a challenging year, especially starting without Rondo.
As for the possibility of trading Rondo, other teams are going to want to see him on the court before they offer anything of value.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30