Sep 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
When we last heard from Roger Mason Jr., he was planning to run for the players’ union’s presidency, and was even considered likely to be the one to win the job based on several years of experience in dealing with union matters.
In addition to Mason not being able to compete with that kind of star power, there was a legitimate concern because he hadn’t yet secured a place on an NBA roster for next season.
Mason is still looking for somewhere to play at this late stage, but at least he got the chance to impress the league’s most high profile team in a recent workout.
With less than a week until the start of training camp, the Miami Heat continue to work through roster possibilities, with veteran guard Roger Mason Jr. the latest to emerge on the team’s workout list.
Even with 13 players under guaranteed contract for 2013-14, and with 18 players already invited to camp, the Heat continue to audition candidates, with journeyman guard Von Wafer among those at recent sessions.
It’s tough to envision the Heat going with Mason or Wafer for one of their last two roster spots, but the one thing they both have in common is that they’re veteran players who would sign up to play for the league minimum salary.
But Miami would be better-served keeping those slots open in case better options become available as the season progresses. Remember, the Heat didn’t retain the services of Chris Andersen until late January, and he ended up being a key contributor for them during the postseason.
Mason appeared in 66 games for New Orleans last year, and averaged 5.3 points in 17.7 minutes per contest, while shooting 41.5 percent from three-point distance.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23