Sep 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
When we last heard from Roger Mason Jr., he was planning to run for the players’ union’s presidency, and was even considered likely to be the one to win the job based on several years of experience in dealing with union matters.
In addition to Mason not being able to compete with that kind of star power, there was a legitimate concern because he hadn’t yet secured a place on an NBA roster for next season.
Mason is still looking for somewhere to play at this late stage, but at least he got the chance to impress the league’s most high profile team in a recent workout.
With less than a week until the start of training camp, the Miami Heat continue to work through roster possibilities, with veteran guard Roger Mason Jr. the latest to emerge on the team’s workout list.
Even with 13 players under guaranteed contract for 2013-14, and with 18 players already invited to camp, the Heat continue to audition candidates, with journeyman guard Von Wafer among those at recent sessions.
It’s tough to envision the Heat going with Mason or Wafer for one of their last two roster spots, but the one thing they both have in common is that they’re veteran players who would sign up to play for the league minimum salary.
But Miami would be better-served keeping those slots open in case better options become available as the season progresses. Remember, the Heat didn’t retain the services of Chris Andersen until late January, and he ended up being a key contributor for them during the postseason.
Mason appeared in 66 games for New Orleans last year, and averaged 5.3 points in 17.7 minutes per contest, while shooting 41.5 percent from three-point distance.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 5
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9