Sep 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
When we last heard from Roger Mason Jr., he was planning to run for the players’ union’s presidency, and was even considered likely to be the one to win the job based on several years of experience in dealing with union matters.
In addition to Mason not being able to compete with that kind of star power, there was a legitimate concern because he hadn’t yet secured a place on an NBA roster for next season.
Mason is still looking for somewhere to play at this late stage, but at least he got the chance to impress the league’s most high profile team in a recent workout.
With less than a week until the start of training camp, the Miami Heat continue to work through roster possibilities, with veteran guard Roger Mason Jr. the latest to emerge on the team’s workout list.
Even with 13 players under guaranteed contract for 2013-14, and with 18 players already invited to camp, the Heat continue to audition candidates, with journeyman guard Von Wafer among those at recent sessions.
It’s tough to envision the Heat going with Mason or Wafer for one of their last two roster spots, but the one thing they both have in common is that they’re veteran players who would sign up to play for the league minimum salary.
But Miami would be better-served keeping those slots open in case better options become available as the season progresses. Remember, the Heat didn’t retain the services of Chris Andersen until late January, and he ended up being a key contributor for them during the postseason.
Mason appeared in 66 games for New Orleans last year, and averaged 5.3 points in 17.7 minutes per contest, while shooting 41.5 percent from three-point distance.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4