Sep 24, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
“The new name of the town will be ‘Shaq-ramento, capital of California.”
—Shaquille O’Neal, now one of the O’ners of the Sacramento Kings, at his introductory press conference in that role.
We’ll have more from this press conference later, but Shaq was a vintage version of himself speaking to Sacramento. He apologized for calling the Kings the “Queens” back in 2002, when the Lakers and Kings were rivals and the two best teams in the league.
Shaq also promised to pass along all his knowledge and wisdom to DeMarcus Cousins. Which is swell but only actually works if Cousins is willing to listen, but that’s another issue for another day.
Shaq bringing his personality to Sacramento is a good thing for a new ownership group led by Vivek Ranadive that has injected some energy and passion into a franchise that had been run into the ground by the Maloof family. They still have to prove this will translate over to the court, they still need to get a new building constructed, they still have a lot to prove, but they are taking great first steps.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9