Sep 24, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
We told you this was coming a while ago, but on Wednesday the NBA will make it official:
The NBA All-Star game is going back to one of basketball’s meccas, where the streets will make you feel brand new, bright lights will inspire you and all that…
The New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets will co-host the 2015 All-Star Game. Multiple reports have confirmed the news, which was not really a surprise it is just about to be official. The league is hosting a press conference Wednesday to make the announcement.
Brooklyn’s new Barclay’s Center will host the Friday and Saturday night events, including the Rising Stars Challenge, the Slam Dunk Contest and all the rest (whatever form that is in two years from now). Madison Square Garden, fresh off an $800 million refurbishment, will host the All-Star Game itself on Sunday.
It would be more fun to host the thing at Rucker Park, but I’m not sure Adam Silver thinks it meets the needed seating requirements.
David Stern had said at last All-Star Game in Houston that New York and Brooklyn were the only two bidders for 2015 and they were trying to work out a compromise. Part of that compromise may well be the All-Star Game returning to New York two or three years later and the roles reversing (Brooklyn would host the main game, Madison Square Garden the preliminary events).
The 2014 All-Star Game is in New Orleans. Reports came out Tuesday that Toronto is expected to host the 2016 game.
Bringing the All-Star Game to New York, even in this unusual setup, should be fantastic. There are few better basketball towns than New York, which will set a high bar for the event.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10