Sep 24, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT
It was thought a month ago that Glen Davis would be back for the start of Orlando’s training camp after missing most of last season following foot surgery.
Orlando GM Rob Hennigan did a Q&A with Orlando’s own site and sounded very cautious about the return of Davis.
“He’s progressing on schedule and he is progressing slowly. And that’s by design. One thing that we want to make sure of is that when Glen does come back we don’t want him to re-aggravate that foot. So we’re being very cautious and very vigilant in how he is preparing. He is moving along as scheduled but we still don’t have a firm timetable yet to when he will return.”
Orlando has some interesting young pieces up front to give minutes to — Tobias Harris at the four, plus they have Andrew Nicholson as a backup and Nikola Vucevic at the five. That’s not mentioning Jason Maxiell.
I expect Orlando will clear Davis during training camp and then they will showcase him (as they will Jameer Nelson). Eventually one team that sees itself as a contender will need another big man and the Magic will continue their rebuilding efforts (which will include a high draft pick next summer, one earned by being bad this season).
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23