Sep 24, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Every last one of them can create their own shot and have hit clutch shots before. Plenty of them.
So when a Brooklyn Nets game comes down to :06 left and they need a bucket, Jason Kidd is going to design a play for…
“If you’re into analytics, you look at Joe Johnson as the clear-cut guy taking the last-second shot,” Kidd said. “He was 9-for-10 with 24 seconds or less. So that would be your guy who is the closer.”
I am into analytics, and Johnson has some very impressive clutch numbers. With his team behind by three points or less, or tied, in the last 30 seconds of a game he was 8-of-9 last season; in the last 10 seconds of those games it was 3-of-4. In the final minute of a game where the game was within five points (ahead or behind) he was 10-of-14.
Kidd’s making the smart call here, because Johnson also can dish to one of the guys mentioned above if the defense overloads.
However, if you are not into analytics and just want some video evidence of Johnson in the clutch from last season, here you go.
Kidd added it’s not all Johnson at the end of games.
“But the game of basketball is such that you draw up a play for one player, most of the time it doesn’t end up with that one guy taking the shot. He creates a problem, which results to one of teammates getting a wide-open look. Make-or-miss, it’s the right basketball play,” Kidd said. “For us, it’s about making the right basketball play at the end. But if you’re looking at stats, which a lot of you people do, Joe Johnson’s name comes first. … He’s a guy who delivers. He loves that stage at the end of having the ball and making the right play.”
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 7
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 12
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 20
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 97
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27