Sep 24, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Gone are Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas, and Marcus Camby.
It’s not quite that clean and simple (Chris Copeland and Steve Novak are gone as well) but the idea is clear — New York got younger. Last season they were the oldest team in NBA history, this season they are not young but they are younger.
“No knock to the guys we had last year. Those guys had incredible careers. I wish I could play that long. But we are young. That’s what I’m saying. We’re a younger team this year. We still got depth from last year, but we also have a younger bench. That’s going to help us later in the season.”
Felton put himself in the time-honored pre-camp category of “I lost 15 pounds this summer and feel the best I have in years.” Every team has one or two of those guys each season, this year for the Knicks it is Felton. All such revelations should be treated with skepticism until proven otherwise (and we see it improve his play).
The basic idea is this: the younger Knicks will not wear down as much, battle fewer injuries over the course of the season and win a few more games (they likely do win a few more, because they are better and in part because with teams going woeful for Wiggins there will be more wins for every good team). More importantly, they will be better positioned for the playoffs, where the Knicks are going to need to be healthy and better to advance farther than they did a year ago.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 1
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 5
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 3
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16