Sep 24, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
Gone are Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas, and Marcus Camby.
It’s not quite that clean and simple (Chris Copeland and Steve Novak are gone as well) but the idea is clear — New York got younger. Last season they were the oldest team in NBA history, this season they are not young but they are younger.
“No knock to the guys we had last year. Those guys had incredible careers. I wish I could play that long. But we are young. That’s what I’m saying. We’re a younger team this year. We still got depth from last year, but we also have a younger bench. That’s going to help us later in the season.”
Felton put himself in the time-honored pre-camp category of “I lost 15 pounds this summer and feel the best I have in years.” Every team has one or two of those guys each season, this year for the Knicks it is Felton. All such revelations should be treated with skepticism until proven otherwise (and we see it improve his play).
The basic idea is this: the younger Knicks will not wear down as much, battle fewer injuries over the course of the season and win a few more games (they likely do win a few more, because they are better and in part because with teams going woeful for Wiggins there will be more wins for every good team). More importantly, they will be better positioned for the playoffs, where the Knicks are going to need to be healthy and better to advance farther than they did a year ago.
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 17
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 34
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 19