Sep 23, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
“King James passes out on the wing to Jesus Shuttlesworth, who is guarded by The Truth. Shuttlesworth hits Flash on the cut but KG is there and blocks the shot into the third row.”
We could see exactly that next season.
We all call players by their nicknames but the NBA may let Heat and Nets players put their nicknames on the back of their jerseys for one game, reports the Associated Press.
Some members of the Miami Heat have been told the NBA is considering having them and the Brooklyn Nets wear “nickname jerseys” in at least one of their four matchups this season. The NBA has not announced the plan, but teams apparently have been aware of the likelihood of it happening for at least several weeks.
“It shows growth in our league and it shows we do adapt to what’s going on around us,” said Allen, the Heat guard who plans to wear Shuttlesworth on his jersey, a nod to his character from the “He Got Game” film. “And we’re still kids, playing a kids’ game. Even though we’re now men playing a kids’ game, we still remember where we come from. Everybody had a nickname and it’s a way to let the fans in a little bit more.”
I love this idea. It would be even better if in warm-ups Denzel Washington would come out and challenge Allen to a game of one-on-one, but I’ll settle for the nicknames.
Sure, the NBA did this in part to spur jersey sales, but so what? NBA and all pro sports are entertainment, nothing more. We get invested in the characters and we love how things end because it is not predetermined, it’s drama in real time, but in the end it is entertainment (and we would do well to keep that in mind sometimes). So what is wrong with having some fun with nicknames on the jerseys?
For that game, I propose all the PBT writers will have nicknames in their bylines, too.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61