Sep 23, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
Pretty soon you can own the red and black Nikes that Michael Jordan wore in Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals — the legendary “flu game.” Well, you can if you have six figures of disposable income sitting around that you can spend on shoes you will never wear. And if so, well, good for you.
You remember the game. The series was tied 2-2 and before the critical Game 5 Jordan was battling a 103 degree fever — which legendary Jordan trainer Tim Grover still says was due to intentional food poisoning — and still found a way to score 38 points, grab seven rebounds and drag the Bulls to a key win. Among all of Jordan’s legendary games and accomplishments, this one was right at the top.
After the game, he autographed the shoes and handed them over to an industrious Jazz ball boy (there is photographic evidence of this), who has kept them under lock and key since.
“We were approached by the ball boy because of our affiliation with the Basketball Hall of Fame,” (Grey Flannel director of operations Michael) Russek told BDL. “He never looked to sell them before now. I think he recently realized that he was getting a little older and was more curious than anything to see if people still cared about the story.”
Um, yes they still do. A lot.
“He wants someone else to have them who can display them better, as they’ve sat in a safety deposit box for the last 15-plus years,” Russek said. “Mainly, he wants Jordan fans to hear the story and know they are out there and how they were obtained.”
The story will get out there, and said ball boy will make a hefty chunk of change. Capitalism at its finest.
The auction also will have a LeBron James game jersey, Elgin Baylor’s 1974 NBA All-Star Game trophy and more. You can own all of it, if you have the cash.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 9
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31