Sep 23, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
During the playoffs last year, doctors ordered the Bulls Luol Deng to undergo a spinal tap to test whether he had meningitis. He didn’t have the disease, but the test itself went bad — spinal fluid leaked into his body and Deng became incredibly ill. While he faced a literally life-threatening situation the Bulls called it “the flu.” Deng corrected the team statement through social media, but it took a while to recover and he missed the entire second round of the playoffs because of it.
Now Deng is going to test the free agent market next summer (the Bulls didn’t want to talk extension), which means this could be the last run for this Bulls roster.
Predicting what Deng will decide to do next summer is impossible, but based on what his agent his agent Herb Rudoy told David Aldridge of NBA.com it doesn’t sound like he’s staying. While it was reported the two sides were talking about extension, Rudoy doesn’t see it that way.
“We never negotiated,” Rudoy said Friday. “We had several meetings. One was to discuss the medical care he got, or did not get, after his spinal tap [in May], which was of great concern to him.”
“Did or did not get?” That is a dig at the Bulls. Aldridge explains.
But he was upset that the Bulls’ team physicians accompanied the team to Miami for the start of the series, leaving him alone in a Chicago hospital as he lost 15 pounds and became violently ill as spinal fluid leaked into his body. Deng was sick for weeks afterward.
That kind of feeling of betrayal is hard to get over.
Winning and winning big could keep this Bulls core together, and the Bulls say they want to keep Deng, but it feels like a long shot. The Bulls look like a team thinking of clearing out space to go after another star to pair with Rose, while Deng sounds willing to move on. He will have other suitors next summer.
“I know there will be a terrific market for Luol Deng,” Rudoy said. “Bulls fans should know he loves playing in Chicago. But if the Bulls don’t want to give him an extension, he’s obliged to take a look at the market and make a decision that’s best for him.”
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 11
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)