Sep 23, 2013, 5:08 PM EST
Al Horford admits it. Like a lot of other Hawks fans this summer he wondered what GM Danny Ferry was thinking.
Then it all came together. Now Al Horford looks around at the guys working out before training camp starts with the Hawks next week and he thinks he sees the plan. At least he sees something that interests him in terms of potential.
However, in a Q&A with the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Horford admits that back in July when point guard Jeff Teague signed an offer sheet with the Bucks (then asked the Hawks not to match it), he freaked out a little.
(Horford): “More than anything, I have to trust in (General manager) Danny (Ferry) and his vision and where he is going. Even though at times, as people and as players, we can get caught up looking at what is in front of us and he might be looking two or three steps ahead. I might be upset with him like ‘Why did this happen? Why did this move happen?’ At the end of the day I do trust in his vision with this team and what he wants to accomplish. As a player I have to sit back and do my job.”
Q. What were those moves?
A. “I was on edge of course. I’m not going to lie to you. I questioned certain things, like ‘What is going on here?’ I was like ‘We need to get Kyle back. We need to get Jeff back. What’s going on?’ I was definitely on edge about all the things. Once I realized how everything was going, I was like ‘They have a vision. They know that they are doing. I have to trust them.’ I have to make sure that I get better and just get ready.
The Hawks have an interesting roster. Up front they can go small with Horford and Paul Millsap, then they can add Elton Brand and Gustavo Ayon for size if they need it. New coach Mike Budenholzer likely will use Horford in the Tim Duncan role and Teague as Tony Parker, with Kyle Korver and other shooters spacing the floor. It’s not the Spurs, not close, but it could be interesting, especially once Lou Williams gets back healthy.
But whatever this roster is, know that this is Al Horford’s team now. Josh Smith is gone, everyone is gone, this is Horford’s team.
He needs to stop worrying and take charge of it.
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 2
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 21
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)