Sep 23, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Kris Humphries isn’t a center but he can play the spot in a pinch — last season in Brooklyn he played 2 percent of the team’s minutes at the five (according to 82games.com). He was about average on offense, a little below average on defense, but he’s not terrible at the spot. The season before he played 11 percent of the Nets minutes at center and averaged 22.6 points per 48 minutes and had an All-Star level PER of 25.4.
Which is good because Boston could be playing him there a lot.
The Celtics have some solid fours on their roster in Brandon Bass and Jared Sullinger, but at center it’s basically rookie Kelly Olynyk and Vitor Faverani. Basically, Boston has a bunch of fours who will masquerade as centers. Which means we could see a lot of Humphries at the five in Boston.
“Well I’ve always played power forward, center, sometimes switching out guarding some ‘3’ men,” said Humphries, asked specifically if he anticipates playing some center. “I think with some of the versatility we have, we’ll see guys playing different positions out there.”
Last season when Kevin Garnett was on the court, the Celtics allowed 96.2 points per 100 possessions, which would have been the best in the league if they could have maintained it. However when he was off the court that jumped to 104.6 per 100 — that would have been 22nd in the league, about equal with the Raptors.
This season Garnett is in Brooklyn and rookie coach Brad Stevens has a bunch of undersized guys to play center. It doesn’t look promising.
So expect a lot of Humphries at center, which is potentially good for the offense. As for that other end of the court… well, this is going to be a very different Boston team.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 10
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 9
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 39
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10