Sep 23, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Brett Brown doesn’t have a lot to work with as coach of the Sixers this year. That is by design, new coach Sam Hinkie has taken the “get good by getting bad” strategy and they are all in for this year’s lottery.
So what is Brett Brown going to try to do with this first year as coach.
Build a winning foundation. He’s taking a page from the NFL philosophy of trying to put players in positions to play to their strengths rather than put the square peg in the round hold, he told Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com.
“I don’t have the analytic bug,” Brown said. “I listen to it but it does not consume me. We have players who traditionally have taken two-point shots like Evan, Lavoy [Allen] and Thad.
“Evan’s future is going to be developing his perimeter game,” Brown continued. “But he can shoot the mid-range shot. He is strong and he can get to the basket. That is tough to guard.”
The other focus is player development. The Sixers are not going to have a traditional lead assistant, what they will have is an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator and guys who are all about developing talent — a more NFL, compartmentalized style, Brown said.
“I won’t have a lead assistant coach,” Brown explained. “One guy will pay attention to offense, another to defense and then Lloyd (Pierce) is like my free safety. There will also be two coaches with development roles.”
“I used this philosophy when coaching in the Olympics in London and it works for me,” Brown added, referring to his 2012 experience coaching the Australian national team.
All you can ask of Brown and the Sixers this year is effort and development — build a foundation with what you have. Then wait for the front office to get you the talent.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29