Sep 23, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Last season Bradley Beal just wanted to be on the court — so much so that when he sprained his ankles he kept playing. But if you play injured the body will compensate, and that leads to worse issues. Say, a stress reaction in your lower leg.
That’s what Beal got and he spent much of this off-season letting it heal.
Now he is in the Wizards training facility getting ready for the season while Chris Singleton and Emeka Okafor have already gone down with injuries. Beal told J. Michael of CSNWashington.com if he is injured this season he knows better what to do.
“Hopefully I can learn my lesson, stop being hard-headed and just sit down when I need to sit down,” said Beal, 20, who missed 26 games. “And listen to older guys, know my body and hopefully this year I’ll be injury-free.
“I’ll definitely tell them (to be patient), especially Chris with his foot.”
Beal is slated to be the floor-stretching shooter who pairs with John Wall in the backcourt, but Beal said he’s been working on his game and can do more than that.
“They definitely put a lot of skill work in me, a lot of ball-handling, things I need to do off the dribble,” he said. “Hopefully I’ll be able to incorporate on the floor.”
The Wizards see themselves as a playoff team in the East, but the injury to Okafor — out indefinitely with a neck injury — could dampen those chances. It’s puts a lot more pressure on Nene, Kevin Seraphin, Jan Vesely and Trevor Booker up front, but also on Wall and Beal to put up points.
Washington needs not only a healthy Beal but also an improved one to make the postseason.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13