Sep 23, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Last season Bradley Beal just wanted to be on the court — so much so that when he sprained his ankles he kept playing. But if you play injured the body will compensate, and that leads to worse issues. Say, a stress reaction in your lower leg.
That’s what Beal got and he spent much of this off-season letting it heal.
Now he is in the Wizards training facility getting ready for the season while Chris Singleton and Emeka Okafor have already gone down with injuries. Beal told J. Michael of CSNWashington.com if he is injured this season he knows better what to do.
“Hopefully I can learn my lesson, stop being hard-headed and just sit down when I need to sit down,” said Beal, 20, who missed 26 games. “And listen to older guys, know my body and hopefully this year I’ll be injury-free.
“I’ll definitely tell them (to be patient), especially Chris with his foot.”
Beal is slated to be the floor-stretching shooter who pairs with John Wall in the backcourt, but Beal said he’s been working on his game and can do more than that.
“They definitely put a lot of skill work in me, a lot of ball-handling, things I need to do off the dribble,” he said. “Hopefully I’ll be able to incorporate on the floor.”
The Wizards see themselves as a playoff team in the East, but the injury to Okafor — out indefinitely with a neck injury — could dampen those chances. It’s puts a lot more pressure on Nene, Kevin Seraphin, Jan Vesely and Trevor Booker up front, but also on Wall and Beal to put up points.
Washington needs not only a healthy Beal but also an improved one to make the postseason.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11