Sep 23, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Last season Bradley Beal just wanted to be on the court — so much so that when he sprained his ankles he kept playing. But if you play injured the body will compensate, and that leads to worse issues. Say, a stress reaction in your lower leg.
That’s what Beal got and he spent much of this off-season letting it heal.
Now he is in the Wizards training facility getting ready for the season while Chris Singleton and Emeka Okafor have already gone down with injuries. Beal told J. Michael of CSNWashington.com if he is injured this season he knows better what to do.
“Hopefully I can learn my lesson, stop being hard-headed and just sit down when I need to sit down,” said Beal, 20, who missed 26 games. “And listen to older guys, know my body and hopefully this year I’ll be injury-free.
“I’ll definitely tell them (to be patient), especially Chris with his foot.”
Beal is slated to be the floor-stretching shooter who pairs with John Wall in the backcourt, but Beal said he’s been working on his game and can do more than that.
“They definitely put a lot of skill work in me, a lot of ball-handling, things I need to do off the dribble,” he said. “Hopefully I’ll be able to incorporate on the floor.”
The Wizards see themselves as a playoff team in the East, but the injury to Okafor — out indefinitely with a neck injury — could dampen those chances. It’s puts a lot more pressure on Nene, Kevin Seraphin, Jan Vesely and Trevor Booker up front, but also on Wall and Beal to put up points.
Washington needs not only a healthy Beal but also an improved one to make the postseason.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 1
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 5
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 10