After his playing days, Paul Pierce says he will return to Boston

Sep 23, 2013, 1:46 PM EST

Miami Heat v Boston Celtics - Game Three Getty Images

He may have grown up in the shadow of the Great Western Forum in Los Angeles (where the Showtime Lakers played), but Paul Pierce is a Boston guys now.

So much so that after he retires from basketball — probably after two more seasons with Brooklyn — he wants to retire and work in Boston.

That’s what Pierce told Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.

“Ultimately, what I would like to do is have a business in Boston,” he said. “Maybe like a sports bar. I would love to do something like that here. None of the former Celtic great players have come and done that. I thought about it, and why hasn’t anyone come and opened up a nice restaurant? You see the Don Shula restaurant, the Michael Jordan restaurant, and Magic [Johnson] got the theaters in LA. Why nobody here? All this history, all these championships and love, why has nobody done that?

“I am going to still have relationships here. I’m always going to come to this city. Every year, when I’m done, I’m going to have a reason to come here.”

Pierce may spend the last couple years of his playing career in Brooklyn and may fall in love eating at Beast or Roberta’s, but that’s not where his heart is. He is a Bostonian now.

He should even have some kind of relationship with the Celtics again down the line. Not some formal position, just a relationship. He’s a part of the Celtics heritage — and he wants to remain a part of it. As it should be.

1. kb2408 - Sep 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I still say that there is no way he should have ever worn another Jersey other than the Celtic’s green and white. I hate Boston but a great player like Pierce that has helped to bring a championship to the franchise, and has been there for his entire career, should not be traded…unless he asks for it.

2. GT - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

“The Truth” Donut Shoppe
    “The Truth” Food Truck
    “The Truth” affordable family takeout bbq in Newton Centre, MA

Only serious about the last one. Do it Paul!

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

You know he’s going to open some decent sports grille and bring all the food out on wheelchairs! Just kidding about the last part, love me some PP.

3. chiadam - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

One of the best Bosklyn Celnets ever. His will be the most popular of all the Mr. Submarines!

4. vi3tguy415 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM

what a traitor!!! cali is where you should be. just cuz u visit a new a city or play for a new city doesn’t mean u can forget where your roots are. very disappointed.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I don’t particularly care for Pierce since he played for the Celtics, but I have to say I think it’s cool he’s from LA. He’s just proof of the talent this area produces.

5. andyhr17 - Sep 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM

So if someone doesn’t ultimately return to where they grew up they’re a traitor? You don’t get out much, do you?

• vi3tguy415 - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM

ok LeBron’s fans. remember what he said few yrs back. ‘ at the end of the day, you all will go back to your miserable lives”.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches