Sep 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The New York Knicks have basically worked out everyone who has ever touched a basketball this offseason, and that’s led to a lot of speculation over who was getting the golden tickets to training camp. As fun as it would be to imagine Ricky Davis hanging out with Metta World Peace and J.R. Smith on the bench this year, we might have to settle for Josh Powell instead.
Source: Josh Powell has taken a non-guaranteed training camp deal with #Knicks. Strong, athletic, good rebounder. Good size with Tyler out.
— Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) September 21, 2013
Powell is all those things Zwerling said about him, but the battle to make the Knicks roster might be tough. New York already has 12 guaranteed contracts on the books, two partially-guaranteed contracts, and now with Powell, three non-guaranteed, make-good type contracts. With only 15 spots (or possibly 14) available, Powell will have to beat out some competition in camp, and Mike Woodson has expressed that he really likes a few other guys, like big guard Toure’ Murry.
Powell could make the roster though, especially since big man Jeremy Tyler is sidelined and rookie forward C.J Leslie is always a threat to check out mentally. Powell is a grinder, and for a team already overflowing with personalities, it might be a good idea to bring in someone a little more – I don’t know – reserved. Sorry, Ricky.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13