Sep 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The New York Knicks have basically worked out everyone who has ever touched a basketball this offseason, and that’s led to a lot of speculation over who was getting the golden tickets to training camp. As fun as it would be to imagine Ricky Davis hanging out with Metta World Peace and J.R. Smith on the bench this year, we might have to settle for Josh Powell instead.
Source: Josh Powell has taken a non-guaranteed training camp deal with #Knicks. Strong, athletic, good rebounder. Good size with Tyler out.
— Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) September 21, 2013
Powell is all those things Zwerling said about him, but the battle to make the Knicks roster might be tough. New York already has 12 guaranteed contracts on the books, two partially-guaranteed contracts, and now with Powell, three non-guaranteed, make-good type contracts. With only 15 spots (or possibly 14) available, Powell will have to beat out some competition in camp, and Mike Woodson has expressed that he really likes a few other guys, like big guard Toure’ Murry.
Powell could make the roster though, especially since big man Jeremy Tyler is sidelined and rookie forward C.J Leslie is always a threat to check out mentally. Powell is a grinder, and for a team already overflowing with personalities, it might be a good idea to bring in someone a little more – I don’t know – reserved. Sorry, Ricky.
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 0
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24