Sep 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The New York Knicks have basically worked out everyone who has ever touched a basketball this offseason, and that’s led to a lot of speculation over who was getting the golden tickets to training camp. As fun as it would be to imagine Ricky Davis hanging out with Metta World Peace and J.R. Smith on the bench this year, we might have to settle for Josh Powell instead.
Source: Josh Powell has taken a non-guaranteed training camp deal with #Knicks. Strong, athletic, good rebounder. Good size with Tyler out.
— Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) September 21, 2013
Powell is all those things Zwerling said about him, but the battle to make the Knicks roster might be tough. New York already has 12 guaranteed contracts on the books, two partially-guaranteed contracts, and now with Powell, three non-guaranteed, make-good type contracts. With only 15 spots (or possibly 14) available, Powell will have to beat out some competition in camp, and Mike Woodson has expressed that he really likes a few other guys, like big guard Toure’ Murry.
Powell could make the roster though, especially since big man Jeremy Tyler is sidelined and rookie forward C.J Leslie is always a threat to check out mentally. Powell is a grinder, and for a team already overflowing with personalities, it might be a good idea to bring in someone a little more – I don’t know – reserved. Sorry, Ricky.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49