Sep 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The New York Knicks have basically worked out everyone who has ever touched a basketball this offseason, and that’s led to a lot of speculation over who was getting the golden tickets to training camp. As fun as it would be to imagine Ricky Davis hanging out with Metta World Peace and J.R. Smith on the bench this year, we might have to settle for Josh Powell instead.
Source: Josh Powell has taken a non-guaranteed training camp deal with #Knicks. Strong, athletic, good rebounder. Good size with Tyler out.
— Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) September 21, 2013
Powell is all those things Zwerling said about him, but the battle to make the Knicks roster might be tough. New York already has 12 guaranteed contracts on the books, two partially-guaranteed contracts, and now with Powell, three non-guaranteed, make-good type contracts. With only 15 spots (or possibly 14) available, Powell will have to beat out some competition in camp, and Mike Woodson has expressed that he really likes a few other guys, like big guard Toure’ Murry.
Powell could make the roster though, especially since big man Jeremy Tyler is sidelined and rookie forward C.J Leslie is always a threat to check out mentally. Powell is a grinder, and for a team already overflowing with personalities, it might be a good idea to bring in someone a little more – I don’t know – reserved. Sorry, Ricky.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12