Sep 22, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Who: France vs Lithuania.
The French squad features five current NBA players in Tony Parker (Spurs), Nicolas Batum (Blazers), Boris Diaw (Spurs), Nando De Colo (Spurs) and Joffrey Lauvergne (Nuggets). Former NBA players Johan Petro, Alexis Ajinca and Mickael Gelabale are on the roster as well.
The Lithuanian squad features only two NBA players in Donatas Motiejunas (Rockets) and Jonas Valanciunas (Raptors). Linas Kleiza, who was released by the Raptors this offseason, is on the team as well.
What: Here’s what’s at stake. France has never won a European title, and it’s been ten years since Lithuania won gold. Both teams are hungry for a win, but Lithuania might have the mental edge going in. In the second round of EuroBasket back on September 11th, they crushed France 76-62 and limited Parker to just 11 points. Jonas Valanciunas had 13 points and 6 boards in just 16 minutes of playing time.
When: 12 pm PT
Where: Slovenia. Keep an eye on the Bronze Medal game beforehand between Spain and Croatia for more NBA players going at it.
Why: Here’s why you should watch. Tony Parker has played big minutes and put up big points all tournament, averaging 19.3 a game and leading all scorers. He’s been brilliant. Although you wouldn’t expect it, the French team has struggled behind the arc quite a bit, shooting 33 percent as a team. Can Parker continue to save the day offensively?
Valanciunas is the player to watch on the other end. Many have him pegged as breakout candidate this year after his summer domination, but Valanciunas hasn’t been as consistently great against much better competition. He does lead the Lithuanian squad in rebounds and blocked shots, however.
This is the very last of the best basketball you’ll see for nearly a month, and these are two great teams going at it in an emotionally charged setting. Enjoy it while you can.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 0
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 24
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 18
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 25
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 28
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 38
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29