Sep 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Just a few shorts weeks ago, Tracy McGrady announced his retirement from the NBA. It’s always hard to gauge when the right time to go out is, but this felt right. McGrady had an incredible career that was ravaged by back injuries and bad luck, as he and Yao Ming rarely seemed healthy at the same time.
In my mind, McGrady belongs in the hall. Although playoff success eluded him, for many years McGrady was considered a Top-5 player in the game. It’s different eras, but if Bernard King’s lack of rings or playoff series wins didn’t stop his inclusion, it shouldn’t stop McGrady’s either.
But let’s snap back to what’s going on right now, because McGrady’s basketball career might not be over — at least overseas.
Although he’s retired from the NBA, McGrady is contemplating playing basketball one more year in China. “I have a lot of fans over there so we’ll see,” he said.
One thing that we know the basketball hall of fame takes into account is international play. While McGrady’s influence in China might not be a huge factor, another season at least puts it on his resume, right?
For those fans of the CBA in China who love McGrady so much, it’s the Sichuan Jinqiang Whale who have reportedly shown interest (h/t to HoopsRumors.com) in the 34-year-old. Yesterday, the team signed the 6th pick of the 2009 draft, Jonny Flynn to a contract. Could a Flynn-McGrady backcourt happen? I’d watch that.
If McGrady wants to keep playing in China or anywhere else around the globe, best of luck to him. He was robbed of a lot of time in his prime, so he deserves every minute he can spend on the floor.
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall (VIDEO) 3
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27