Sep 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Just a few shorts weeks ago, Tracy McGrady announced his retirement from the NBA. It’s always hard to gauge when the right time to go out is, but this felt right. McGrady had an incredible career that was ravaged by back injuries and bad luck, as he and Yao Ming rarely seemed healthy at the same time.
In my mind, McGrady belongs in the hall. Although playoff success eluded him, for many years McGrady was considered a Top-5 player in the game. It’s different eras, but if Bernard King’s lack of rings or playoff series wins didn’t stop his inclusion, it shouldn’t stop McGrady’s either.
But let’s snap back to what’s going on right now, because McGrady’s basketball career might not be over — at least overseas.
Although he’s retired from the NBA, McGrady is contemplating playing basketball one more year in China. “I have a lot of fans over there so we’ll see,” he said.
One thing that we know the basketball hall of fame takes into account is international play. While McGrady’s influence in China might not be a huge factor, another season at least puts it on his resume, right?
For those fans of the CBA in China who love McGrady so much, it’s the Sichuan Jinqiang Whale who have reportedly shown interest (h/t to HoopsRumors.com) in the 34-year-old. Yesterday, the team signed the 6th pick of the 2009 draft, Jonny Flynn to a contract. Could a Flynn-McGrady backcourt happen? I’d watch that.
If McGrady wants to keep playing in China or anywhere else around the globe, best of luck to him. He was robbed of a lot of time in his prime, so he deserves every minute he can spend on the floor.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13