Lakers’ Spanish broadcast team wins ‘Best Live Call’ for broadcast of Kobe’s game-tying three vs. Raptors (VIDEO)
Sep 21, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The Lakers’ overtime win over the Raptors back in March was easily the best regular season game I attended in person last year.
Kobe Bryant was absolutely ridiculous in dragging his team first to overtime and then to victory, and just like sports writers can do some of their best work when a player or game exceeds expectations and reaches incredible heights, the same can be true of those making the call as a game is being broadcast live.
L.A.’s Spanish broadcast team, consisting of Adrian Garcia-Marquez and Francisco Pinto, were selected as the winners of the “Best Live Call” award that was decided upon by their colleagues in the industry at a meeting of NBA broadcast talent this week.
“We are honored and humbled by this award,” said Garcia-Marquez. “It means so much to us that our peers gave us this distinction. Honestly, we were happily surprised to just have been included on a list with many legendary and talented gentlemen to whom we personally look up.”
In the call, Garcia-Marquez details the sinking of a contested, game-tying, overtime-forcing three-pointer from “La Mamba Negra”, who had drained two previous triples to keep the Lakers in the game.
“That play was absolutely Vino-inspired,” explained Garcia-Marquez.
The call was made by the team while working the Time Warner Cable Deportes broadcast.
It’s unclear who else was nominated, but what’s indisputable is how great the call of “Tres! Mamba Negra! Triple Doses!” was as Bryant dropped in the three that sent the game to OT.
It’s worth noting that while it may sound like the announcer said “tremendo huevos,” he actually said “tremendo juego,” which translates as “great game.” Although it’s obvious from the highlight that the latter phrase accurately describes Kobe’s effort here, as well.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11