Sep 21, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Remember him? Josh Childress became a basketball pioneer of sorts when he left behind big NBA minutes with the Atlanta Hawks in favor of a bigger paycheck overseas.
Childress spent the prime of his career playing for Olympiacos in Greece, where he signed an unprecedented 3-year, $20 million dollar contract back in 2008. Childress has been back in the NBA the last three seasons, albeit in a much more limited role than he occupied before he left for Greece. Childress appeared in just 14 games for the Brooklyn Nets last season before being waived.
After turning down a deal to return to Greece, the 30-year-old small forward has accepted a training camp invite from the Washington Wizards.
Free agent swingman Josh Childress will go to training camp with the Washington Wizards, HoopsHype has learned. http://t.co/qK2PvxV4UZ
— HoopsHype (@hoopshype) September 21, 2013
It’s a curious fit, if only because the Wizards already have 15 guaranteed contracts on the books. Perhaps Childress is being brought in to push this year’s second round pick Glen Rice Jr. or perhaps replace 2011 first round pick Chris Singleton, who will be out 6-8 weeks with a foot injury. With Otto Porter, Martell Webster and Trevor Ariza already on the roster, it doesn’t seem like wing depth should be a primary concern.
When you also consider that Emeka Okafor is out indefinitely, the invite for Childress becomes even more strange. Are the Wizards really comfortable trusting Kevin Seraphin, Trevor Booker and Jan Vesely to handle the load in Okafor’s absence? Maybe so.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0