Sep 21, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Remember him? Josh Childress became a basketball pioneer of sorts when he left behind big NBA minutes with the Atlanta Hawks in favor of a bigger paycheck overseas.
Childress spent the prime of his career playing for Olympiacos in Greece, where he signed an unprecedented 3-year, $20 million dollar contract back in 2008. Childress has been back in the NBA the last three seasons, albeit in a much more limited role than he occupied before he left for Greece. Childress appeared in just 14 games for the Brooklyn Nets last season before being waived.
After turning down a deal to return to Greece, the 30-year-old small forward has accepted a training camp invite from the Washington Wizards.
Free agent swingman Josh Childress will go to training camp with the Washington Wizards, HoopsHype has learned. http://t.co/qK2PvxV4UZ
— HoopsHype (@hoopshype) September 21, 2013
It’s a curious fit, if only because the Wizards already have 15 guaranteed contracts on the books. Perhaps Childress is being brought in to push this year’s second round pick Glen Rice Jr. or perhaps replace 2011 first round pick Chris Singleton, who will be out 6-8 weeks with a foot injury. With Otto Porter, Martell Webster and Trevor Ariza already on the roster, it doesn’t seem like wing depth should be a primary concern.
When you also consider that Emeka Okafor is out indefinitely, the invite for Childress becomes even more strange. Are the Wizards really comfortable trusting Kevin Seraphin, Trevor Booker and Jan Vesely to handle the load in Okafor’s absence? Maybe so.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 0
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 53
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 11
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14