Sep 21, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
The past two seasons, the Miami Heat have won the NBA title in spite of Dwyane Wade’s knees.
He hobbled through the past two playoff runs, showing only flashes of his vintage self (a game here, a quarter there, but usually when it was most needed). After the 2012 title Wade had surgery on his knee to clean everything up, that wasn’t enough.
After this last season, Pat Riley challenged Wade to lose some weight, taking some load off his knees. He apparently has taken that to heart according to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst.
Based on photos Dwyane Wade has been posting lately, it appears he has dropped significant weight as he said was his summer plan.—
Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) September 21, 2013
We know that Wade has again been working out with famed trainer Tim Grover in Chicago of late.
The Heat’s road to a three-peat will be harder than the last two — for one reason, their main rivals in the East have all improved — and come the playoffs the Heat will need every bit of vintage Wade to make it.
He and his knees have got to be right come the playoffs, even if that means more rest during the season.
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 17
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 15
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5