Sep 20, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Now is the time of year when basketball players — trying to get in shape before camp — start getting nagging injuries. Some of these are far more serious than others.
The Minnesota Timberwolves may feel like they are owed some good injury Karma after last season, but on Friday this happened to rookie center Gorgui Dieng.
Doesn’t sound too bad. Which is good news for the Timberwolves and Dieng (the No. 21 pick and a key backstop in Louisville’s national title run).
Dieng is going to be battling with Ronny Turiaf and Chris Johnson for the minutes behind Nikola Pekovic at the five. Dieng is the one of that group who really needs training camp, he told PBT at Summer League the speed and athleticism of the game was making him feel a little overwhelmed at first. And that was Summer League, not actual NBA basketball.
Expect to hear a lot of little things like this, even as camps open in just over a week. The key is to separate the serious from the minor, and this sounds kind of minor.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10