Sep 20, 2013, 10:13 AM EST
Before becoming a hilariously bad coach with the Pistons(sadly, “hilarious” is how his players found his tenure) and demoted with the Lakers, John Kuester was a good assistant under Larry Brown in Detroit and Mike Brown in Cleveland.
Kuester does not have the personality to be a good head coach, but the world learning that doesn’t mean he suddenly lost his basketball knowledge and ability to help from farther down the bench. Brett Brown and the 76ers realize that, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Ex-Pistons coach John Kuester is the leading candidate to join Brett Brown's staff as top assistant w/ the 76ers, league sources tell Y!—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) September 20, 2013
Kuester was the Cavaliers’ offensive coordinator, but his background is really on the defensive end. He’s competent enough in both that Philadelphia doesn’t need to pigeonhole him, and he’d help the team in any role.
Plus, the 76ers are young enough and without the cache to disrespect him at every turn. So, I’m sure Kuester would appreciate that, and apparently, he’s comfortable working for Browns.
The latest Brown boss, Brett, also would get himself a little more job security (not that he lacked it entering his first season of a four-year contract), because there’s no way Philadelphia would fire him mid-season if it meant promoting Kuester to head coach.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)