Sep 20, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than Brazilians like spectacular soccer goals….
• If you read one thing today (besides this blog), it should be the great work by Jonathan Abrams at Grantland looking at one of the big preps-to-pros busts, Korleone Young.
“As he walked through the doors, I was listening to him,” said (Joe) Dumars, now Detroit’s president of basketball operations. “When he got on the court, you could see he had talent, but you knew the process was going to be hard because he was just so young for the league. He sounded like a young high school kid all of a sudden thrown into the NBA world.”
• Here is an oral history of how the Celtics drafted Len Bias.
• Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert seems as confused as a number of other Browns fans about recent developments with that team.
• How far did Rocky Balboa run in the Rocky II training sequence? Longer than a marathon.
• The Sixers worked out a deal to bring Vander Blue to training camp.
• Unable to impress a team at Summer League, Jonny Flynn has signed to play with the Sichuan Blue Whales in China.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 2
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 18
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49