Sep 20, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
When Derrick Rose first entered the league he had the quickness to drive the lane and when he got there he used his impressive body control to avoid contact and hit some ridiculous layups. Except that was not what coaches want — draw the contact, get to the line and get the sure points, plus throw in a few and-1s.
In an interesting Q&A with SLAM Magazine, Rose said the reason he developed that contortionist style is where he learned to play in Chicago because on the blacktop they didn’t call fouls.
They do in the NBA, and in his time off Rose added 10 pounds of muscle to help him deal with that contact as he attacks, he told SLAM.
“Now this year, I got a little more strength behind me, so I think going to the hole, taking those shots, I’ll be able to finish a lot stronger this year. There should be a lot more and-ones, hopefully….
“I think I’m a lot quicker, a lot more explosive, and I think I’m gonna go this year without that many nagging injuries, just trying to prevent it by stretching and doing all the things I have to do to take care of my body. When you first come in the League and you’re talented and you’re athletic, you don’t care about stretching or anything. You just kind of go out there and overlook that stuff. But now it’s my sixth year, so you really have to look at that and take that more seriously so I can prevent all of the little injuries.”
Yes, he’s also been working on his jump shot, particularly from three.
We’ll see how Derrick Rose looks back on the court (I suspect pretty much like the MVP guy we remember), but I’m just happy to have him back on the court. He is one of the most dynamic and exciting players the league has and it is more fun with him in it.
As for those Bulls fans who still have their panties in a wad over last season, they’ll be over it by Game 3 of the season. Just watch.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 0
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14