Sep 20, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
When Derrick Rose first entered the league he had the quickness to drive the lane and when he got there he used his impressive body control to avoid contact and hit some ridiculous layups. Except that was not what coaches want — draw the contact, get to the line and get the sure points, plus throw in a few and-1s.
In an interesting Q&A with SLAM Magazine, Rose said the reason he developed that contortionist style is where he learned to play in Chicago because on the blacktop they didn’t call fouls.
They do in the NBA, and in his time off Rose added 10 pounds of muscle to help him deal with that contact as he attacks, he told SLAM.
“Now this year, I got a little more strength behind me, so I think going to the hole, taking those shots, I’ll be able to finish a lot stronger this year. There should be a lot more and-ones, hopefully….
“I think I’m a lot quicker, a lot more explosive, and I think I’m gonna go this year without that many nagging injuries, just trying to prevent it by stretching and doing all the things I have to do to take care of my body. When you first come in the League and you’re talented and you’re athletic, you don’t care about stretching or anything. You just kind of go out there and overlook that stuff. But now it’s my sixth year, so you really have to look at that and take that more seriously so I can prevent all of the little injuries.”
Yes, he’s also been working on his jump shot, particularly from three.
We’ll see how Derrick Rose looks back on the court (I suspect pretty much like the MVP guy we remember), but I’m just happy to have him back on the court. He is one of the most dynamic and exciting players the league has and it is more fun with him in it.
As for those Bulls fans who still have their panties in a wad over last season, they’ll be over it by Game 3 of the season. Just watch.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37