Sep 20, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
When Derrick Rose first entered the league he had the quickness to drive the lane and when he got there he used his impressive body control to avoid contact and hit some ridiculous layups. Except that was not what coaches want — draw the contact, get to the line and get the sure points, plus throw in a few and-1s.
In an interesting Q&A with SLAM Magazine, Rose said the reason he developed that contortionist style is where he learned to play in Chicago because on the blacktop they didn’t call fouls.
They do in the NBA, and in his time off Rose added 10 pounds of muscle to help him deal with that contact as he attacks, he told SLAM.
“Now this year, I got a little more strength behind me, so I think going to the hole, taking those shots, I’ll be able to finish a lot stronger this year. There should be a lot more and-ones, hopefully….
“I think I’m a lot quicker, a lot more explosive, and I think I’m gonna go this year without that many nagging injuries, just trying to prevent it by stretching and doing all the things I have to do to take care of my body. When you first come in the League and you’re talented and you’re athletic, you don’t care about stretching or anything. You just kind of go out there and overlook that stuff. But now it’s my sixth year, so you really have to look at that and take that more seriously so I can prevent all of the little injuries.”
Yes, he’s also been working on his jump shot, particularly from three.
We’ll see how Derrick Rose looks back on the court (I suspect pretty much like the MVP guy we remember), but I’m just happy to have him back on the court. He is one of the most dynamic and exciting players the league has and it is more fun with him in it.
As for those Bulls fans who still have their panties in a wad over last season, they’ll be over it by Game 3 of the season. Just watch.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20