Derrick Rose says he added 10 pounds, is stronger going to rim

Sep 20, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

When Derrick Rose first entered the league he had the quickness to drive the lane and when he got there he used his impressive body control to avoid contact and hit some ridiculous layups. Except that was not what coaches want — draw the contact, get to the line and get the sure points, plus throw in a few and-1s.

In an interesting Q&A with SLAM Magazine, Rose said the reason he developed that contortionist style is where he learned to play in Chicago because on the blacktop they didn’t call fouls.

They do in the NBA, and in his time off Rose added 10 pounds of muscle to help him deal with that contact as he attacks, he told SLAM.

“Now this year, I got a little more strength behind me, so I think going to the hole, taking those shots, I’ll be able to finish a lot stronger this year. There should be a lot more and-ones, hopefully….

“I think I’m a lot quicker, a lot more explosive, and I think I’m gonna go this year without that many nagging injuries, just trying to prevent it by stretching and doing all the things I have to do to take care of my body. When you first come in the League and you’re talented and you’re athletic, you don’t care about stretching or anything. You just kind of go out there and overlook that stuff. But now it’s my sixth year, so you really have to look at that and take that more seriously so I can prevent all of the little injuries.”

Yes, he’s also been working on his jump shot, particularly from three.

We’ll see how Derrick Rose looks back on the court (I suspect pretty much like the MVP guy we remember), but I’m just happy to have him back on the court. He is one of the most dynamic and exciting players the league has and it is more fun with him in it.

As for those Bulls fans who still have their panties in a wad over last season, they’ll be over it by Game 3 of the season. Just watch.

1. money2long - Sep 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM

does anyone think chalmers is getting more and more nervous for that first game the more these positive reports of rose come out? knowing he has to match up with him during the game ?

• miamatt - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Nope. Chalmers has confidence of outlandish proportions (more than he realistically should). Wade has stated on many occasions that Chalmers really believes he is the best player on the Heat and the biggest celebrity in Miami. And they can always put James on Rose for the 4th quarter, if the Heat care enough about the first of 82 regular season games to show that hand.

• kb2408 - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Chalmers has an abundance of confidence…too bad he doesn’t have the game to match. He usually gets outplayed by most top pg’s. That’s why LeBron has to run around guarding point guards.

• money2long - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

thinking you’re the best at you position doesn’t necessarily absolve you of the fear you have of having to guard someone. that’s completely different.

• beach305 - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Super Mario is very confident, just not that vocal in your face like Felton or Nate Robinson are.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Mario Chalmers is a top 3 player in the NBA. Just ask Mario Chalmers.

• antistratfordian - Sep 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Well the last time Rose played the Heat he was 1-13 and was benched in the 4th for being terrible. And we already know that he’s wary of LeBron’s defense: “It’s extremely hard where a 6-8 guy can easily defend you.”

So I think if anyone is nervous about the season opener it’s D.Rosay.

As it pertains specifically to Chalmers – he beat Rose for the National Championship because he came up clutch when Rose couldn’t, then he took home the Final Four Most Outstanding Player award to boot. And now he has 3 championships to Rose’s 0. So I don’t think Rio spends a lot of time thinking about this guy.

• chicitybulls - Sep 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Do you really think those 3 rings are more because Chalmers or James and Wade?

Just ask yourself this, if you were picking a team and you had the 1st pick and you had to choose between Chalmers and Rose who are you picking???

Thanks for playing.

• antistratfordian - Sep 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

The question wasn’t about who is better – it was about if Chalmers is nervous about playing Rose. Chalmers has no reason to be “nervous” about Rose, and certainly not a Rose who hasn’t played in about 2 years. And besides, as I already mentioned, they went head-to-head before in a championship game and Mario Chalmers won.

• money2long - Sep 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

im talking about having to play defense on someone. larry bird can be the best small forward in people’s opinion, however, that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a little weary having the task to defend carmelo anthony on defense.

2. miamatt - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I truly can’t wait to see Rose play, he is a pleasure to watch. But oftentimes players who pack on muscle in the preseason end up dropping it in-season when they realize they’re not as quick as they once were. We’ll see…

• legend30 - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM

cough Roy Hibbert cough

3. kb2408 - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

And your 2013-14 league regular season MVP….Derrick Rose.

• legend30 - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM

LeBron, Durant, or Rose. Maybe C. Paul.

4. papichulo55 - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Not a Bulls fan, but the League sure could benefit from a healthy Bulls team in the Playoffs.

• antistratfordian - Sep 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM

How? What difference does it make?

• ProBasketballPundit - Sep 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Did you see the Celtics/Bulls 7 game series in 2009? It was amongst the best playoff series I’ve ever seen. Healthy great players makes for a better NBA… unless you’re a guy who only cares that your team wins.

• antistratfordian - Sep 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

But do you see what you just said? The 2009 Bulls were garbage, Rose wasn’t even a great player then, and you still said it was one of the best playoff series that you’ve ever seen. So it’s not necessary to have, as you say, “Healthy great players” to have a great series.

And look at 2011 – Rose didn’t make the ECF more exciting – quite the opposite, actually. So again, I ask, what difference does it make? Not much, as we all know who is going to represent the East for the foreseeable future.

5. kingwithringz - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I’m so sick of hearing about this guy. He hasn’t played a game in 3 years, for crying out loud.

• bougin89 - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Sorry, I must have missed the joke.

6. nflcrimerankingscom - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Rose better watch out, Dirtywane Wade will undoubtedly take a shot at his knee in the first game.

7. southbeachtalent - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

AP laughs at Rose every time he steps on the field..

8. asublimeday - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Cool sexist comment to close out the article. Real professional.

9. asublimeday - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

AP laughs at Rose every time he steps on the field..
    ——–

I’m not sure AP is doing much laughing playing with a garbage QB and with his team at 0-2

• bougin89 - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

garbage QB?!? Greg Jennings is praising Christian Ponders leadership ability.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

hahaha good one.

• jt1138 - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

You mean the same Greg Jennings who gave up playing with the best QB in the NFL for a noodle armed QB on team that was, is, and will be carried by their RB for the foreseeable future?

Because he thinks like a sane person.

• bougin89 - Sep 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I thought it was clear that I was being sarcastic. I’m a Bucks/Packers fan and was taking a dig at Greg Jennings. Nobody in their right mind thinks Christian Ponder is a decent QB at this point.

10. snipedanglecelly13 - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Rose will prolly sit out two more months saying he’s only at 98% lol

11. earpaniac - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM

AP is incredible, but remember, so far this year DRose has won just as many NFL games as AP has.

12. rhetoric1 - Sep 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

n*sync came back before Rose.

I’m sorry, I had to : (

13. drubyy1993 - Sep 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Does that mean he will have to buy a bigger suit to wear on the bench or?

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures