Sep 20, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
In the bottom line definition of how much a player is worth to a team, Andre Iguodala is a $12.9 million a year player.
However, there is no one definitive way to judge a player’s worth — not money, not points per game, not PER, not All-Star appearances, not rings. None of it alone defines a player, and the gray areas of this are what we fans like to argue about.
Iguodala is one of the players that can be hard to pinpoint an exact worth because he’s the ultimate glue guy. Yes, he’s athletic and can score (15.1 points a game career average) and shoot threes (33 percent for his career), he has handles and can make plays in transition, plus he’s one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. He doesn’t have to score to make you better.
”I don’t think I got enough credit for what I bring to certain teams, especially last year with the record that we had, breaking the franchise record for wins and how we kind of kept everything together and pulled off a great season,” Iguodala said. ”Just really continue to build with this team as well. Not just for one year but do it for multiple years, keep making runs at everyone’s ultimate goal, which is a championship.”
Iguodala gets some recognition — he’s been an All-Star and he has a gold medal. But is it as much as he deserves?
Denver had its best season last year and Iguodala as a glue guy who helped their defense was a key part of that.
Golden State also can be a great fit — this team has scoring, but Iguodala gives them another shot creator in the half court as well as a threat in transition. But mostly it’s defense that matters — Golden State wasn’t very good at it last season and if Iguodala and a healthy Andrew Bogut can change that the Warriors are a much bigger threat.
But Iguodala will still be underappreciated, because Stephen Curry’ll awe us all.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47