Andre Iguodala thinks his skill set is underappreciated

Sep 20, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT

Andre Iguodala AP

In the bottom line definition of how much a player is worth to a team, Andre Iguodala is a $12.9 million a year player.

However, there is no one definitive way to judge a player’s worth — not money, not points per game, not PER, not All-Star appearances, not rings. None of it alone defines a player, and the gray areas of this are what we fans like to argue about.

Iguodala is one of the players that can be hard to pinpoint an exact worth because he’s the ultimate glue guy. Yes, he’s athletic and can score (15.1 points a game career average) and shoot threes (33 percent for his career), he has handles and can make plays in transition, plus he’s one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. He doesn’t have to score to make you better.

In the same AP interview where Iguodala said the Warriors were shooting for more than 50 wins (as they should), he also said he was undervalued, for example in Denver (hat tip Ball Don’t Lie).

”I don’t think I got enough credit for what I bring to certain teams, especially last year with the record that we had, breaking the franchise record for wins and how we kind of kept everything together and pulled off a great season,” Iguodala said. ”Just really continue to build with this team as well. Not just for one year but do it for multiple years, keep making runs at everyone’s ultimate goal, which is a championship.”

Iguodala gets some recognition — he’s been an All-Star and he has a gold medal. But is it as much as he deserves?

Denver had its best season last year and Iguodala as a glue guy who helped their defense was a key part of that.

Golden State also can be a great fit — this team has scoring, but Iguodala gives them another shot creator in the half court as well as a threat in transition. But mostly it’s defense that matters — Golden State wasn’t very good at it last season and if Iguodala and a healthy Andrew Bogut can change that the Warriors are a much bigger threat.

But Iguodala will still be underappreciated, because Stephen Curry’ll awe us all.

1. grapenutz08 - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Ummmm by the looks of his salary its over appreciated. Hes a good defender and passer…but at the end of games hes a liability because he cant shoot or make free throws. Cmon andre….

2. starvingardens - Sep 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Don’t worry Andre, when you start playing in front of the home crowd, you’ll see how much you are truly appreciated. You’re not ever going to want to leave the Bay Area.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hell yeah, Andre is very unappriciated. But I bet the fans in Golden State will definatly appriciate and respect what he has to bring, finally. Philly fans were suuuuper ungrateful when he was there. It used to bother me. I’d take Iggy on a $12, 000, 000 contract per yr. all day long in LA.

• adoombray - Sep 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

fans of any sport in Philadelphia never appreciate their stars. It must really suck to live there with all the complaining that comes out of that place. I bet they’d love to have him back now with a full on tanking team looking at 20-30 wins tops.

3. kingwithringz - Sep 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I love his game honestly. Play 2-3, great defense, and tough as nails.

4. eagles512 - Sep 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM

He was definitely underrated here in Philly. Idiots on the radio think not having a great jump shot means you’re not a good player.

5. pacific123ocean - Sep 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I know the feeling Andre, as my skills are also under appreciated at my job. I just wish I was getting paid $12 million/year to be under appreciated.

• adoombray - Sep 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

so do something well enough to be worth 12 million a year. oh right. you can’t. neither can any of the other tired “i wish i made that much money” peanut gallery members.

6. broncobeta - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

As a Nuggets fan, I’m really disappointed he won’t be back. His defense was elite and I still believe he was robbed of DPOY last year.

However, I will not miss his free throw shooting. My lord, it was so Shaq-like last year.

Anyways though, I’d still take that fault in his game because he defense is truly elite.

7. nflcrimerankingscom - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

No, for 12 mil/year he is properly appreciated.

8. antistratfordian - Sep 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Hmmm. A minute ago I was thinking that he’s properly appreciated. But now I remember the insane slurpery of Paul “He’s a superstar now!” George. And Igoudala is absolutely right if he’s thinking along those lines because he’s never received the type of love that was showered upon Paul George last year even though he’s been a better player than that in the past.

9. ia8711 - Sep 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Iggy is capable of scoring more than 12 ppg. I feel like he has to score more to gain even more recongition because he is definitley a star player. Iggy needs to be at that 16-18ppg range.

10. girlsknowsportstoo - Sep 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM

He was very much appreciated in Philly. He has the McNabb complex where he needs constant adulation. Iggy had a problem in Philly, now in Denver…watch it Golden State, you will be next.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches