Sep 19, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT
Back before he could do a lot of pre-draft workouts, before he was the surprise No. 1 overall pick of the Cleveland Cavaliers, Anthony Bennett had surgery to repair the torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder. Which is one of the reasons nobody really expected him to go No. 1.
He had the surgery in May because it meant he should be recovered in time for training camp — and that appears to be the case, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Bennett, however, began playing five-on-five without any restrictions this week for the first time since the surgery. He has played well, but needs to get in much better shape as the start of training camp nears.
The Cavaliers goal is to bring Bennett along a little slowly, bringing him off the bench and not trying to put too much pressure on the No. 1 pick. However, injuries might make that impossible, Spears notes.
The Cavaliers are expected to start Tristan Thompsonat power forward and not use Bennett at small forward this season, a source said. It is possible that if center Andrew isn’t able to return from his lingering knee injury by season’s start that Bennett could become the starting power forward if Thompson moves to center.
Anderson Varejao has been cleared of his blood clot issue that kept him on the bench last season and he could fit in that mix as well.
Still, Bynum is not expected to be ready for camp and if history is any indication the Cavaliers may need to use Bennett more than expected to cover for Bynum. Bennett has athleticism and length, but was always a bit of a project who was going to take some time to really have a big impact.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 0
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 6
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 14
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 23
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26