Sep 18, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The Wizards thought that the basketball gods owed them some good injury Karma after the past couple seasons. Doesn’t appear the gods feel the same way.
The Wizards have lost Chris Singleton for 6-8 weeks due to a fracture in his left foot at the base of his small toe, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. This is commonly called a “Jones fracture” and it’s an injury that linger, but it was dealt with surgically to ideally prefent that in the case of Singleton.
Not ideal for the Wizards as they will now not have Singleton for at least all of training camp and likely the first couple weeks of the season.
Worse for Singleton, the third year player entering a big contract year — the Wizards have to decide whether to pick up the fourth year option on his rookie contract. Singleton struggled last season — he shot 38.2 percent overall, 19.4 percent from three, got in just 57 games and averaged 4.1 points a game when he did. At Summer League he averaged 11.2 points and 6.2 rebounds a game, but shot just 42 percent and you wouldn’t describe his play as dominant.
Oh, and by the way Singleton is a three and the Wizards just drafted Otto Porter and picture him as the three of the future. The odds of Singleton sticking seem longer and longer.
Singleton should be back early in the season (foot injuries can linger), but will he be able to crack the rotation by then?
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4