Sep 18, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Southerners like fried food….
• So, you think you’re good at pop-a-shot? Think again (via The Awesomer).
• Friend of the blog Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com makes a rational plea to Lakers fans: This season should be about having fun again, enjoying the experience and not the end result.
• We told you how the NBA was paying to put high tech, motion recording Spurts VU cameras in every NBA arena, which is going to track the detailed movements of players on the court and provide this wealth of information. What kind of information? John Schuhmann at NBA.com gave us a little breakdown, complete with some videos. Some interesting stats: In the 27 games the cameras tracked of his (remember they weren’t in every arena last year), Rajon Rondo had 37 “free throw assists” where he made the pass and it led to a foul and at least one made free throw; Tony Parker averaged almost two “hockey assists” a game (the pass that leads to another pass that leads to a basket). You get the idea, we are going to get a lot more information, and that is good for us fans.
• Things that may blind those cameras — Dwyane Wade‘s light-up shoelaces:
• Memphis has invited swingman Tony Gaffney to training camp. He already has a contract to play in Germany this year, it is a camp invite only.
• Bill Cartwright with an interesting story of what it was like coaching in Japan.
• Magic Johnson has started a great program for at-risk youth.
• Finally, good to see Louisville’s Kevin Ware is dunking again.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 5
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 15
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 11
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15