Sep 18, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The line that hope has been replaced by expectations in Memphis hits the nail on the head — they reached the Western Conference Finals last season and fans now expect that or more.
And that is going to be hard to do for a few reasons. For one, I don’t think Memphis really addressed the need for more consistent outside shooting (sorry but I don’t see Mike Miller as healthy all season and guys like Nick Calathes have a lot to prove). Second, the West is going to be a tougher place: Oklahoma City gets Russell Westbrook back, the Clippers added some real shooters and talent (plus upgraded at coach), and the Spurs are not going anywhere.
Still, the expectations are there in Memphis. It’s going to be an interesting season.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 2
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 5
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14