Sep 18, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The line that hope has been replaced by expectations in Memphis hits the nail on the head — they reached the Western Conference Finals last season and fans now expect that or more.
And that is going to be hard to do for a few reasons. For one, I don’t think Memphis really addressed the need for more consistent outside shooting (sorry but I don’t see Mike Miller as healthy all season and guys like Nick Calathes have a lot to prove). Second, the West is going to be a tougher place: Oklahoma City gets Russell Westbrook back, the Clippers added some real shooters and talent (plus upgraded at coach), and the Spurs are not going anywhere.
Still, the expectations are there in Memphis. It’s going to be an interesting season.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 35
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 36
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17