Sep 18, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The Spurs signed Jeff Pendergraph to a two-year contract in free agency this summer, but Pendergraph will never play for the team — Jeff Ayres will instead.
It’s a long and somewhat interesting story, but the basics are excerpted here as a public service announcement to Spurs fans who may wonder what’s going on once training camp opens in a couple of weeks.
Last month, Pendergraph walked into a courthouse in downtown Phoenix, his wife Raneem and newborn daughter Naomi in tow.
He walked out with a new name — Jeff Ayres.
Ayres is family name of his biological father, James. It replaces the surname of a stepfather who hasn’t been in the picture since the player formerly known Jeff Pendergraph was in high school.
For the 26-year-old veteran of three NBA seasons, the journey from Pendergraph to Ayres was in some ways as simple as filling out a thick stack of paperwork and filing it with an Arizona judge.
It was also a complicated decision, with a complex back story, one that tests the traditional definitions of blood and family.
We won’t get into all of the family business here, but suffice it to say that Jeff Pendergraph is no more. The man with career averages of 2.9 points and 2.4 rebounds in 9.2 minutes per game over three NBA seasons will be known as Jeff Ayres from this point forward, as he embarks on the next phase of his career in San Antonio.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 8
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 19
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14