Sep 18, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The Lakers gave us a tease about a month ago of what was officially unveiled on Wednesday: the team’s new black alternate uniforms.
Officially dubbed the “Hollywood Nights” edition, the jerseys feature a black base color with numbers and lettering in purple, outlined with gold trim.
Lakers executive Jeanie Buss can be seen discussing the new uniforms in the video clip above, and here’s some additional detail from the official release.
The organization has consistently heard from fans that a black uniform was desired, and have been working to make that a reality for years. The Lakers have a long history and philosophy of listening to fans, and as a public trust are in the business of serving fan interest, from colors of uniforms up to the ultimate goal of winning championships. The purple and gold uniforms will forever be the staple for the Lakers, with the black ones adding what the Lakers hope to be a cool alternative.
Check out some additional photos below, and make sure to head over to Lakers.com to view the complete gallery.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4