Sep 18, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
The Lakers gave us a tease about a month ago of what was officially unveiled on Wednesday: the team’s new black alternate uniforms.
Officially dubbed the “Hollywood Nights” edition, the jerseys feature a black base color with numbers and lettering in purple, outlined with gold trim.
Lakers executive Jeanie Buss can be seen discussing the new uniforms in the video clip above, and here’s some additional detail from the official release.
The organization has consistently heard from fans that a black uniform was desired, and have been working to make that a reality for years. The Lakers have a long history and philosophy of listening to fans, and as a public trust are in the business of serving fan interest, from colors of uniforms up to the ultimate goal of winning championships. The purple and gold uniforms will forever be the staple for the Lakers, with the black ones adding what the Lakers hope to be a cool alternative.
Check out some additional photos below, and make sure to head over to Lakers.com to view the complete gallery.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 2
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 6
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 13
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8