Sep 18, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Last season, Josh Smith shot 30.5 percent from the midrange. He was less bad (38.4 percent) if he was 15 feet out closer to the baselines, but in general if Smith wanted to take a midrange jumper the other team would let him.
With Smith going to be the starting three for the Detroit Pistons, and with Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe in the paint, he is going to have to step out some on the perimeter. That said, Smith posting up smaller defenders as a three is going to be something Mo Cheeks is going to go to a lot (or should).
Smith is in Detroit working out with assistant coach Rasheed Wallace before camp and the focus was midrange jumpers and post moves, reports the Detroit Free Press.
“I’m just trying to polish up on things,” he said after working with assistant coach Rasheed Wallace on the perimeter and in the low post. “I’m trying to be more consistent on my mid-range and long-range jumper. I’ve been working on it hard each and every day here.
“Rasheed has been teaching me some things that I need to know on the block; some veteran leadership from him. He has been able to show me some things. It’s always beneficial when you have a veteran guy who has played in the NBA and been successful and now they’re coaches. They can see things from a player’s and a coach’s standpoint.’’
Wallace went on to say the goal was get get Smith comfortable and keep him in his comfort zone. Smith is going to have to step out a little on the perimeter and take some shots to space the floor as a three — the Pistons are going to have some Grizzlies-like issues with floor spacing because they lack outside shooting. Smith needs to knock those down, but until he does hit them other teams are going to let him take them. All day long.
Frontcourt rotations are going to be interesting with the Pistons, as Smith will see time at the four and Monroe will see time at the five. Mo Cheeks has some good players this season but a difficult puzzle to fit together.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2