Derrick Rose says he won’t recruit free agents to play with him in Chicago

Sep 18, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT

Recruiting has always been a way of life in college sports, but free agents on the professional level have historically made decisions based more on money, location, and chances of winning (usually in that order) over everything else.

But the league has shifted in recent years. There was a time when superstars relished the opportunity to compete against one another in order to win a championship; now, it seems as though many would like to try to land on teams that are as stacked with talent as possible.

The best players want to be wanted when it’s their turn to choose where to play in free agency, and recruiting has definitely become a thing now in the NBA. As recently as this summer, we saw Dwight Howard embark on a multi-team tour to receive pitches by the resident star players already in place in those cities.

Chicago has one of the game’s brightest stars and a former MVP in Derrick Rose, and seems to have all the pieces in place to attract high profile free agents. But don’t expect Rose to engage in the type of recruiting that Chandler Parsons did in bringing Howard to Houston — that’s just not his style.

From Rappler.com (via ESPN Chicago):

“I don’t recruit. If anyone wants to play with me, I don’t mind playing with … it could be anyone in the NBA, but as far as recruiting, I never did and never will,” Rose said.

It is worth noting, however, that Rose has recruited in the past — he helped bring Kirk Hinrich to Chicago, and admitted as much last year.

This comes down to personality, though, and Rose has always been more of a hard worker who keeps to himself than he has been a gregarious team ambassador.

Even so, don’t believe for a second that Rose wouldn’t have a conversation with someone like Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James if in fact either of them showed an interest in playing for the Bulls. Those talks would take place — just don’t expect Rose to be the one initiating them.

1. stayhigh_247 - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Him helping bring Kirk back doesn’t count, Chicago loves Hinrich, he’s always been a fan fav, but I dont blame him for not begging these other guys to come hoop with him. If they can’t see that this is a great opportunity then screw em. Going to the playoffs with a legitimate chance to win every year seems like a no brainer, but a lot of these dudes just aren’t mature enough to see it.

• pantsfreezone - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Great opportunity to lose in the 2nd round every year, maybe. I wouldn’t want to play with Boozer or for Thibs no matter what the rest of the team looked like anyway. Great way to shorten your career.

“Hey coach, we’re up 35 with 4 minutes left, can I get a breather?”
      “You will die on that court and thank me for it!”

• casualcommenter - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM

It’s not that joining the Bulls is a bad opportunity. It’s just that there are several teams that present good opportunities.

If your goal is to win, then being on teams in Miami, San Antonio, Houston, OKC, Indiana, Golden State, Memphis, or Los Angeles are all good opportunities, not just Chicago.

Recruiting is not about talking a player into choosing Chicago over Charlotte – that’s obvious. Recruiting is about talking a player into choosing Chicago over Indy, which isn’t as obvious.

2. 2016olympics - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM

This is just strange. And frustrating as a Bulls fan, I might add. Why does Derrick look down on the idea of recruiting, I really don’t get it. Did Kobe himself to recruit D12, did Wade lower himself to recruit LBJ and Bosh? This declaration to be above the idea of recruiting puts Derrick’s leadership skills into question.

• wkl21 - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Kobe didn’t recruit Howard the Lakers traded for him & I guess he didn’t like playing with Kobe and he left. Magic & Bird never recruited anyone and they have 8 rings between them. Kareem & Jordan have 6.

• astead65 - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I love it when people make these “not so basketball smart” comments. Yes, u r correct the people you speak of DIDN’T have to recruit anyone!!!! Their teams were already stacked with future Hall of Famers~!!! Come on, if you like bball u should know this!. There is only one dude within last 20 plus years that has acutally won a championship without even an All-Star on his team. Everyone else had atleast one all-star on the team so no different than what James/Bosh/Wade has done. btw….it was Hakeem w/Houston the first year of their back-to-back. Check it out….

3. rodge1 - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Way to go D Rose. Having your pride is more important than winning a championship to you, I’m sure the Bulls’ front office is ecstatic.

4. millerhour - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I have always been a Bulls fan and I love the fact he isn’t recruiting anyone. I think players recruiting each other is silly.

• casualcommenter - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Not a Heat fan, but I think the Heat’s 3 Finals appearances with 2 championship victories in the 3 years since Dwyane Wade did the “silly” thing and recruited LeBron and Bosh to join the Heat might be a sign that recruiting stars isn’t “silly.”

• astead65 - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Totally agree!

• millerhour - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

They have the trophy’s but what are the trophy’s without respect?

5. legend30 - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I guess he wants the Bulls to keep Deng, instead of bringing another superstar player. Like I said before Deng is a really good player; however, Rose needs a sidekick. Maybe they think Jimmy Butler can be that guy… Who knows, we’ll see.

6. beach305 - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Does Rose, come across as an uptight a****** or what.

• franbotel - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I believe he does ‘cos the media used him as the anti lebron during the season following ” the decision “. But now Lebron is winning rings they are about to give him some rough treatment. All the excuse made for him are about to go out the window.

7. nflcinbengals - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Bulls nation is behind you Rose, it’s cool to have that old school mentality

8. money2long - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:37 AM

his play on the court should recruit the players. relax guys who are calling him out for his stance.

9. adoombray - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM

wasnt this exact same headline posted at the start of FA? I can’t blame ya’ll too much, we’re all desperate for basketball

10. cmart0907 - Sep 19, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Some people dont care about the rings. Some people are chasing money i.e Al Jefferson.

11. papichulo55 - Sep 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Thanks for keeping it 100, Derrick. We already know that Addidas and Nike are calling all major free agent signings.

• papichulo55 - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Addidas and Rose have a Half-BILLION business partnership. Anyone who thinks that Addidas would be happy with a Nike Superstar sharing the spotlight with Rose is naive. Rose should not do anything but voice opinions that support his business interests. Whats wrong with being smart on and off the Court?

12. ninthwardfriend - Sep 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I’am on board with you brother Rose. You got Dat old school mind like MJ. MJ wanted to kick azz not kiss it.

• astead65 - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM

True. But without fellow superstar, top 50, and HOF player, Scottie Pippen. Mike would not have won 6 rings….don’t believe me. Check his ring total prior to Pip or after. Now don’t get me wrong. I believe Jordan was the greatest 2 guard ever and in the running for GOAT, but it is what it is. All I’m saying is that it takes two!! Derrick isn’t going to win without help & I’m not referring to good players…he needs a legit every year all star with him….atleast one……just my thought.

13. chicitybulls - Sep 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Some people have the mindset that I’m good enough to beat you. Some people just want to jump on a team. From reading some of these comments condemning Rose and his killer/competitive attitude I can see what category some of these people fall into.

• Anoesis - Sep 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Right, ’cause ignoring any possible edge in the highly-competitive word of professional sports is something to admire.

• chicitybulls - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

PEDs are an edge. Is that something to admire? I just dont recall those Bulls teams (or any teams for that matter) from the 90s recruiting other players. Growing up playing at the park or in the alley or at the Y we didn’t do that either. YOU be the competitve edge. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the saying goes “In order to be the best you have to beat the best”, not “join up with the best”. But I’m sure we’ll agree to disagree….and that’s fine. A true competitor, to me, is competing and pushing yourself against another equally talented (or near talented) opponent. It’s not the Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals or playing the All-Star team vs the Charlotte Bobcats on NBA2K.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

• chicitybulls - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ummm, who’s upset? And great players may have joined other organizations but it was well past their prime and were not recruited, which this article is about. Those Bulls teams were not recruited. The backbone (Jordan and Pippen) were drafted. You can even throw Kukoc in there. Sure Rodman and Harper came during the second 3-peat but they were not the players they were with Detroit and Cleveland respectively. Even Pippen going to Portland and Barkley going to Houston…they were past their primes and were not recruited. It’s similar to Malone going to the Lakers. I’m guessing you’re under 30 which is why you dont understand the league back then. You didn’t see Pippen and Jordan trying to recruit Ewing to the Bulls.

14. ProBasketballPundit - Sep 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Chicago could have signed Wade & LeBron in 2010. Not that things have turned out poorly for the Miami Heat, but wouldn’t Chicago be seeking a fourth straight championship if that happened? The downside would be that Noah wouldn’t have received an extension and probably Deng would be traded to make room for the three huge salaries.

• chicitybulls - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM

And Rose probably wouldn’t have developed into the player he is today.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

If Lebron, Wade, and Noah were the 3 key pieces, they’d definitely win rings.

15. ProBasketballPundit - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Why is it that players have always wanted to play with other great players, but they never want to be accused of wanting talented teammates? Hence, recruiting by a superstar is wrong while drafting or trading for great players (Pau Gasol) is fine? LeBron’s relocation is deplorable because he chose to leave for a more talented team, but the early 80′s Lakers taking advantage of stupid owners and stockpiling draft picks to help Magic Johnson is virtuous?

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I like the comments that say OKC built their team the “right” way. Tanking without shame is apparently better than getting free agents.

• chicitybulls - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

You really seem down on this brotha. You’ve made several comments about him. Seems personal. Did he not sign an autograph for you or maybe a gloria james/delonte west situation with mrs adamsjohn714?

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

What “brotha” are you talking about? My comment referenced nobody in particular, merely the myriad of fan comments that I find humorous. If you thought I was down on PBP, my comment clearly was obviously building off his in no worse than a neutral light. Reading otherwise would mean you’re a simpleton.

If you somehow thought I was down on Rose, I’m not sure why. He’s a very good PG. I’ve said so many times. I’m really leaning towards the conclusion that you have a hard time understanding what I say.

• chicitybulls - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Lets just take a look at some of your comments and you tell me if you think you’re being “neutral”. Btw, I was referencing a couple of your comments not just this particular one that I decided to respond to. Maybe you missed that (or chose to miss it).

You:
        “He really sold that Forrest Gump act well, even on his SATs in high school.”

“hahaha an advocate for parity in the NBA. Great players have been teaming up for decades. Now that they have greater agency to do so, you’re upset.”

The last comment clearly a shot at Rose that he’s not an advocate for recruiting. Yep, those comments doesn’t say that you’re down on Rose at all. Dont see anywhere where you’ve stated he’s a good PG but maybe you mean in another story. But that’s neither here nor there. We can agree to disagree. Just looking forward to the start of the season to seeing him, Jimmy, Deng, Booz and Noah along with the rooks and Dunleavy and the rest of the Bench Mob 3.0 take the court.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM

It’s a well known fact that he did poorly on his SATs, and then someone took them for him a little while later… If he was just pretending to not be very intelligent (for no reason whatsoever), then he was extremely committed. I think he’s dumb. A dumb person. Nothing to do with his basketball playing ability.

The second comment about parity was mocking your comment directly. The NBA has never had anything close to a form of parity, and to suggest that things were different back then because players had some different sense of competition is pure silliness.

I think Rose is wrong to take the stance he’s taken regarding free agents, but that’s ok. He can be wrong. Doesn’t affect his play. I think you’re just a tad sensitive about Rose.

• papichulo55 - Sep 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

@adamsjohn, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but calling somebody dumb because they cheated on their SATs is way overboard. Mr. Rose has shown great perserverance and intelligence to use his God given abilities to rise up from his surroundings and become the head of a multi-million dollar enterprise. According to your logic, it was his ability to slash to the basket that enabled him to put together and lead the mangement team that will earn enough to take care of his family for generations to come. Again, I support your right to call him dumb. But I would ask you to re-evaluate the basis of your opinion.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

He didn’t cheat the first time. He did terribly. Really really low score…. I think it’s safe to say he’s not a smart person in the traditional sense. It’s not out of bounds to say someone is stupid.

And yes, you’re hitting the nail right on the head. It was it ability to play basketball at an elite level that enabled him to get all those millions of dollars in endorsements and salary. Intelligence does not make you marketable. Basketball is the catalyst. He’s not Kim Kardashian. He actually has talent and deserves the money, attention, etc., but that doesn’t make him a smart man.

• papichulo55 - Sep 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

@adamsjohn, you do realize that the SAT is an acknowledged, imperfect tool to judge a persons ability to succeed in College, not in Life. It is NOT an intelligence test. And his endorsement deals ARE direct, measurable, unambigous proof of his business acumen and manegement skills. Just how many half a billion dollar endorsement deals do you think there are in the whole world? By any sportman, actor, musician, whatever…Is he THAT much better at what he does? Probably not. Then what else could it be, @adamsjohn?

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM

stop crying, man. I think he’s dumb because he had a horrible SAT score among other reasons, and I think he’s rich because he’s great at basketball… relax. I don’t think he’s a bad person.

16. kingcrusher - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I actually loved this interview. He’s got basketball intelligence, and his stance on not recruiting is totally respected by me. If you have to recruit, you’re trying to persuade people with what, money, the “missing piece” for a championship? If they want it that bad, they should see they have a great chance with this guy and go their without being bribed. If you have to bribe them, they are doing it for the wrong reason.

Loved his thoughts on MJ and Bird (2 of the 3 greatest, in my opinion (Magic needs to be in there)).

Overall, I must say I liked his attitude, and his thoughts. While I’m not a bulls fan, I am looking forward to this season and hoping he does well.

17. chitownmatt - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM

For GOD’s SAKE people, Rose is a bit introverted and kinda shy.

He works hard, practices hard, and plays hard.

He doesn’t talk much.

I’m cool with that.

• papichulo55 - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Dont Believe Da Hype! Mr. Rose is also smart as hell, and that Forest Gump act is part of his Brand. Whatever. I wish him nothing but good health!

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM

He really sold that Forrest Gump act well, even on his SATs in high school.

18. eugenesaxe1 - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Translation: I might leave and don’t want the other top talent to sign here without me.

19. onlyavoice - Sep 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Rose Will Sit When Rondo’s Knee Hurts Him.

20. lhollis74 - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Recruitment by other players is highly overrated. Wade, bosh, and Lebron were drafted the same year and have acknowledged that they spoke even then about playing on the same team together. As has been stated many times before, money, location and opportunity drive free agent signings. You think Howard chose Houston for chandler parsons? What was his biggest desire with LA, the Opportunity to be the face of the franchise! Why did Paul resign with the clippers, of everyone he chose Blake griffin? No, I’d say it was the money and location! Professionals typically don’t make business decisions to be close to “friends”.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches