Sep 17, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The Spurs have been the model of consistency in the NBA when it comes to the personnel in place running things in both the front office and on the sidelines.
R.C Buford has been the team’s GM since 2002, and Gregg Popovich has been the head coach since 1996. His assistant coaches were in place almost as long up until this summer — Brett Brown, who left to take on the rebuilding project in Philadelphia as head coach of the Sixers was an assistant under Popovich since 2007, and Mike Budenholzer, who secured the head coaching gig in Atlanta similarly served as an assistant for 16 years.
The rare turnover on Popovich’s staff resulted in opportunity for others. Jim Boylen was hired away from the Pacers as one replacement, and a former player will fill the final vacancy by moving from the front office to the game night bench.
Sean Marks, the former San Antonio center who spent the past two seasons working in the team’s front office, will move to the Spurs bench for 2013-14 to complete coach Gregg Popovich‘s assistant coaching staff, NBA.com has learned. …
A native of Auckland, New Zealand, the 6-foot-10 Marks played for six NBA teams in parts of 11 seasons spread over 13 years. After being drafted in the 1998 second round pick by New York, he appeared in just 230 games for Toronto, Miami, San Antonio, Phoenix, New Orleans and Portland, spent the 2000-01 season in Poland and was sidelined by a knee injury for all of 2003-04. Marks did earn a championship ring with the Spurs in 2004-05 after averaging 3.3 points, 2.4 rebounds and 10.6 minutes in 23 games.
Marks held the title of Director Of Basketball Operations for the Spurs last season, and acted as General Manager of the D-League Austin Toros.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18