Sep 17, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Donte Greene was traded to the Celtics in August in the Fab Melo trade and Greene was always a long shot to make the team — Boston went and got him to save money because his deal was not guaranteed. They were going to cut him free at some point.
So Green was looking at other options.
Apparently he found one in China, reports Hoopshype.
Other sources have confirmed Green will be waived, and as the report he is headed to China comes on the record from his agent it seems pretty solid.
The Chinese season ends in February (when exactly depends on how a team does in the playoffs) so Green will be back as a free agent and able to sign with an NBA team for the stretch run if there is interest.
Greene played four okay seasons in Sacramento then missed all of last season with a broken ankle. If he’s proved he’s healthy maybe some team will grab the 6’11” forward when he’s done overseas.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 28
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 21
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22