Sep 17, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Donte Greene was traded to the Celtics in August in the Fab Melo trade and Greene was always a long shot to make the team — Boston went and got him to save money because his deal was not guaranteed. They were going to cut him free at some point.
So Green was looking at other options.
Apparently he found one in China, reports Hoopshype.
Other sources have confirmed Green will be waived, and as the report he is headed to China comes on the record from his agent it seems pretty solid.
The Chinese season ends in February (when exactly depends on how a team does in the playoffs) so Green will be back as a free agent and able to sign with an NBA team for the stretch run if there is interest.
Greene played four okay seasons in Sacramento then missed all of last season with a broken ankle. If he’s proved he’s healthy maybe some team will grab the 6’11” forward when he’s done overseas.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 5
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9