Sep 17, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Donte Greene was traded to the Celtics in August in the Fab Melo trade and Greene was always a long shot to make the team — Boston went and got him to save money because his deal was not guaranteed. They were going to cut him free at some point.
So Green was looking at other options.
Apparently he found one in China, reports Hoopshype.
Other sources have confirmed Green will be waived, and as the report he is headed to China comes on the record from his agent it seems pretty solid.
The Chinese season ends in February (when exactly depends on how a team does in the playoffs) so Green will be back as a free agent and able to sign with an NBA team for the stretch run if there is interest.
Greene played four okay seasons in Sacramento then missed all of last season with a broken ankle. If he’s proved he’s healthy maybe some team will grab the 6’11” forward when he’s done overseas.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50