Sep 17, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Donte Greene was traded to the Celtics in August in the Fab Melo trade and Greene was always a long shot to make the team — Boston went and got him to save money because his deal was not guaranteed. They were going to cut him free at some point.
So Green was looking at other options.
Apparently he found one in China, reports Hoopshype.
Agent Chris Grier-Luchey tells HoopsHype the Celtics are waiving forward Donte Greene, who will sign with a club in China.—
HoopsHype (@hoopshype) September 17, 2013
Other sources have confirmed Green will be waived, and as the report he is headed to China comes on the record from his agent it seems pretty solid.
The Chinese season ends in February (when exactly depends on how a team does in the playoffs) so Green will be back as a free agent and able to sign with an NBA team for the stretch run if there is interest.
Greene played four okay seasons in Sacramento then missed all of last season with a broken ankle. If he’s proved he’s healthy maybe some team will grab the 6’11” forward when he’s done overseas.
- Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 13
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 4
- PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition 2
- NBA Playoff Preview: Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma City Thunder 7
- NBA Playoff Preview: Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers 16