Derrick Rose says he’s been working on shooting range

Sep 17, 2013, 11:23 AM EST

NBA Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose acknowledges fans as he attends a promotional event as part of his Asia tour in Hong Kong Reuters

When Derrick Rose was out with his torn ACL, Tim Hardaway — who went through the same injury as a player — said Rose needed to use the time to become a better jump shooter. Hardaway should know, he had some of his best years after he returned.

Rose will be back at the start of the season but is currently touring through Asia promoting his adidas shoes, and as you would expect at every turn he gets asked about his return.

While in the Philippines he said his aggressive style of play is not changing, but that he has worked to add range to his jump shot, as reported by ABS-CBNNews.

“No,” Rose answered when asked if there will be a “tweak” in his game this season. “I think the only thing that’s gonna change is my confidence level….

“As far as shooting, I think that’s the only thing I need to work on,” he said. “The only thing I’ve been working on is shooting longer shots, because I think if people have to come out and stick with me a little bit further, it opens up the court a little bit more, and give me enough room to create and get my guys open.”

“I think I want to be more efficient when I go out there and play,” Rose added. “(I want to) be able to control the whole game, with me being the point guard and having the ball for majority of the game.”

Rose shot 31.2 percent from three the last season he played, and 33 percent the season before that. He doesn’t need to become a Steve Nash level jump shooter, but Rose is right that his ability to create and get space will open up if he becomes a more credible threat from distance.

Expectations are high in Chicago as this is a team that won 45 games and got to the second round of the playoffs without their MVP Rose. The Bulls have the defense, they have the role players, but can they bring that all together to beat teams like the Heat or Pacers? We’ve been waiting a couple years, hopefully these playoffs we can find out.

1. legend30 - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Like I said before, Rose is going to become a jump shooter and will start avoiding attacking the basket. #RoseIsNot100%Mentally

• stayhigh_247 - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

@legend30
      you ever heard the phrase “work smarter not harder”? you’re crazy if you think Rose wont be blowing past his man at will. sounds to me, like he’s tryna become a better point guard with a more complete game than somebody afraid to go the cup.

• borderline1988 - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM

If Derrick Rose became a good shooter, he’d pretty much automatically be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the NBA.

That being said, everyone talks about improving their shot. But my theory is that it’s harder to improve your shot than people think…I’m not sure Rose will ever shoot 3s above a 38% clip even if that’s all he practiced for months and months.

That’s one of the reasons why I think Lebron is so good…he’s a 260lb behemoth who somehow became one of the best jumpshooters in the league over the last few years.

2. nflcinbengals - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Don’t worry D. Rose, you have are the youngest league MVP ever. You will only get better

#SEERED

3. chiadam - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Has he been working on shooting from the bench?

4. money2long - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM

watch out. i tried told em

5. kingwithringz - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Is D-Rose the closest thing to Allen Iverson? Somebody answer that for me.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM

No, he’s much better than allen iverson.

• kb2408 - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

“He’s much better than Allen Iverson”?…You continuously embarrass yourself with asinine comments. I love D. Rose, and when it’s all said and done, I think he will be better than A.I. But not right now. For his size, A.I. is “arguably” the greatest player “pound for pound” ever. Barely six feet tall and maybe 150 pounds, he was a scoring machine. He also averaged six assists for his career. D. Rose has a long way to go to become better than A.I.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM

He’s a very inefficient scorer (perhaps the least efficient EVER when incorporating the volume) who turned the ball over a lot. He’s certainly in zero conversations as the best player “pound for pound” (also, nobody says that. This isn’t boxing.) It’s not a surprise you overvalue his contribution with your Kb2408 handle. You probably think Kobe’s points were what made him valuable. This isn’t a rip on Kobe. He’s very very good and has been virtually his entire career, with the exception when he was drafted at 12 years old, and the year before last.

6. spursareold - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Has Rose actually been working with a shooting coach? Because most players who have a lower 3 point percentage have some issue with their jumper that cannot just be worked out with repetition. Years ago, LeBron worked with current Spurs assistant Chip Englland, the best in the business. He worked for one week before the lockout with Kawhi Leonard, and turned him from a 29% long distance shooter at the NCAA line to a consistent 2 year duration 37% long distance shooter from the longer NBA line.

7. dysraw1 - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

if i have ever seen a player with go hard gene its D-Rose. and i believe his back court partner young Jimmy will benefit the most. if he can keep the defense somewhat honest. the Bulls will be tougher than last year by far

8. kb2408 - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I keep saying that Rose is going to have a huge, huge season. Mark it down!! However, for the Bulls to get to the Finals they’re going to have to move Deng at the deadline, or replace him next season. I love Rose, Butler and Noah, but the Bulls need more firepower to get past the Heat and possibly the Nets.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

If Rose comes back the same player, the Bulls will be noticeably better than the nets. No more Marco and a lot more Butler is going to be really beneficial.

9. kb2408 - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I should’ve known my other comment wouldn’t get posted. Apparently, insightful, intelligent comments are frowned upon in this establishment!!

10. antistratfordian - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM

“I think I want to be more efficient when I go out there and play,” Rose added.

I love how “efficient” is the new buzz word among players now. There’s another article here where Jrue Holiday says the same thing. Durant has been talking about it a lot recently as well. Everyone wants to be more efficient, and this is directly because of the influence of LeBron James.

I remember not just 4-5 years ago you would be mocked by many an ignorant basketball fan for talking about efficiency in a serious manner. The thinking went like this: Yes, a guy like LeBron is super efficient, but he can’t win, so efficiency doesn’t matter.

It’s comical now how afraid fans were then of any sort of advanced analysis. That has obviously changed.

11. shanydawg - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Derrick Rose should work on playing a game or 2 now and then. As far as I’m concerned, this is as much of a story as “where is Tim Tebow going?” Until he does something – ANYthing on a basketball court, all of this is drivel.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches