Sep 17, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
When Derrick Rose was out with his torn ACL, Tim Hardaway — who went through the same injury as a player — said Rose needed to use the time to become a better jump shooter. Hardaway should know, he had some of his best years after he returned.
Rose will be back at the start of the season but is currently touring through Asia promoting his adidas shoes, and as you would expect at every turn he gets asked about his return.
While in the Philippines he said his aggressive style of play is not changing, but that he has worked to add range to his jump shot, as reported by ABS-CBNNews.
“No,” Rose answered when asked if there will be a “tweak” in his game this season. “I think the only thing that’s gonna change is my confidence level….
“As far as shooting, I think that’s the only thing I need to work on,” he said. “The only thing I’ve been working on is shooting longer shots, because I think if people have to come out and stick with me a little bit further, it opens up the court a little bit more, and give me enough room to create and get my guys open.”
“I think I want to be more efficient when I go out there and play,” Rose added. “(I want to) be able to control the whole game, with me being the point guard and having the ball for majority of the game.”
Rose shot 31.2 percent from three the last season he played, and 33 percent the season before that. He doesn’t need to become a Steve Nash level jump shooter, but Rose is right that his ability to create and get space will open up if he becomes a more credible threat from distance.
Expectations are high in Chicago as this is a team that won 45 games and got to the second round of the playoffs without their MVP Rose. The Bulls have the defense, they have the role players, but can they bring that all together to beat teams like the Heat or Pacers? We’ve been waiting a couple years, hopefully these playoffs we can find out.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 4
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 22
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9