Sep 17, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
Now you can add Derrick Rose to the mix.
He is coming off an entire missed season after an ACL injury, but while in the Philippines on a promotional tour with Adidas, Rose said he would play next summer, reports ABS-CBNNews.com.
“I mean, if they pick me, yeah,” Rose said Monday in Manila when asked if he wants to join Team USA. “If they select me on the team, it will be an honor….
“I definitely will be on the team if Coach K (Team USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski) wants me,” he said.
My guess is the former league MVP would make the cut pretty easily.
In the up-tempo system Coach K runs to take advantage of the USA’s athleticism, Rose would be an unbelievable asset. There aren’t many players as explosive as him. A combo of Durant, Love and Rose would be an impressive place to start for Team USA.
When asked about Rose at Team USA mini-camp in July, Jerry Colangelo, president of USA Basketball, said if Rose were healthy and fully back they would welcome him on the team.
The World Championships in Spain next summer are the world’s second biggest (or biggest, if you ask some countries) international tournament in the world. Only the Olympics compare. Team USA has an automatic invite as the current Olympic champions, and the winner next summer gets an automatic invite to the Rio Olympics (everybody but the winner has to qualify).
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24