Sep 17, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
Now you can add Derrick Rose to the mix.
He is coming off an entire missed season after an ACL injury, but while in the Philippines on a promotional tour with Adidas, Rose said he would play next summer, reports ABS-CBNNews.com.
“I mean, if they pick me, yeah,” Rose said Monday in Manila when asked if he wants to join Team USA. “If they select me on the team, it will be an honor….
“I definitely will be on the team if Coach K (Team USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski) wants me,” he said.
My guess is the former league MVP would make the cut pretty easily.
In the up-tempo system Coach K runs to take advantage of the USA’s athleticism, Rose would be an unbelievable asset. There aren’t many players as explosive as him. A combo of Durant, Love and Rose would be an impressive place to start for Team USA.
When asked about Rose at Team USA mini-camp in July, Jerry Colangelo, president of USA Basketball, said if Rose were healthy and fully back they would welcome him on the team.
The World Championships in Spain next summer are the world’s second biggest (or biggest, if you ask some countries) international tournament in the world. Only the Olympics compare. Team USA has an automatic invite as the current Olympic champions, and the winner next summer gets an automatic invite to the Rio Olympics (everybody but the winner has to qualify).
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 7
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2