Sep 16, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
If you’re part of the one percent, an NBA team can make a nice toy.
At least it seems that way after Forbes released its list of the 400 richest Americans on Monday and the list contains 14 NBA owners, something pointed out by Darren Rovell of ESPN. By the way, to answer your first question it is still Bill Gates. As it has been for two decades now.
At the top of the list of wealthy NBA team owners Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who owns the Trail Blazers (as well as the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL) and is worth $15.8 billion.
The other owners on the list are: Richard DeVos (Orlando Magic, $6.3 billion), Micky Arison (Miami Heat, $5.9 billion), Stan Kroenke (Denver Nuggets, $5.3 billion), Dan Gilbert (Cleveland Cavaliers, $3.9 billion), Charles Dolan (New York Knicks, $3.3 billion), Tom Gores (Detroit Pistons, $2.7 billion), Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks $2.5 billion), Josh Harris (Philadelphia 76ers, $2.5 billion), Robert Pera (Memphis Grizzlies, $1.95 billion), Herb Simon (Indiana Pacers, $1.95 billion), Donald Sterling (Los Angeles Clippers, $1.9 billion), Glen Taylor (Minnesota Timberwolves, $1.7 billion), and Tom Benson (New Orleans Pelicans, $1.3 billion).
Because this is a list of Americans Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is not on it. However, if he were he would still be second to Allen, Forbes has estimated Prokhorov’s wealth at $13.5 billion. He’s just more willing to spend it on the luxury tax than anyone else.
Interesting note: Phil Knight, the chairman of Nike and one of the more powerful figures in NBA circles because of his shoes, is richer than any NBA owner. Knight is worth $16.3 billion, according to Forbes. It’s gotta be the shoes! (Also, that is really good news for University of Oregon athletics.)
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15