Sep 16, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
If you’re part of the one percent, an NBA team can make a nice toy.
At least it seems that way after Forbes released its list of the 400 richest Americans on Monday and the list contains 14 NBA owners, something pointed out by Darren Rovell of ESPN. By the way, to answer your first question it is still Bill Gates. As it has been for two decades now.
At the top of the list of wealthy NBA team owners Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who owns the Trail Blazers (as well as the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL) and is worth $15.8 billion.
The other owners on the list are: Richard DeVos (Orlando Magic, $6.3 billion), Micky Arison (Miami Heat, $5.9 billion), Stan Kroenke (Denver Nuggets, $5.3 billion), Dan Gilbert (Cleveland Cavaliers, $3.9 billion), Charles Dolan (New York Knicks, $3.3 billion), Tom Gores (Detroit Pistons, $2.7 billion), Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks $2.5 billion), Josh Harris (Philadelphia 76ers, $2.5 billion), Robert Pera (Memphis Grizzlies, $1.95 billion), Herb Simon (Indiana Pacers, $1.95 billion), Donald Sterling (Los Angeles Clippers, $1.9 billion), Glen Taylor (Minnesota Timberwolves, $1.7 billion), and Tom Benson (New Orleans Pelicans, $1.3 billion).
Because this is a list of Americans Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is not on it. However, if he were he would still be second to Allen, Forbes has estimated Prokhorov’s wealth at $13.5 billion. He’s just more willing to spend it on the luxury tax than anyone else.
Interesting note: Phil Knight, the chairman of Nike and one of the more powerful figures in NBA circles because of his shoes, is richer than any NBA owner. Knight is worth $16.3 billion, according to Forbes. It’s gotta be the shoes! (Also, that is really good news for University of Oregon athletics.)
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15