Sep 16, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Each year about this time, the NBA coaches get together for a series of meetings in Chicago — consider it a little meeting where the coaches just talk shop for a few days with their guard down. Relatively.
Part of it is fun — you can get fitted for a suit, the coaches all go out to dinner together.
Another part of it is work, such as going over the league’s officiating “points of emphasis” for the upcoming season. That’s when the NBA tells the coaches what rule they are going to start to really enforce this season (something that often kind of reverts to form halfway through the season). For example a couple years ago it was the quick technical for anyone seen as showing up an official (something that is now inconsistently enforced).
“After a summer of watching our games [from last year], watching how the restricted area’s being officiated is always something I’m concerned with. I think initially the offensive player was getting the benefit and they were throwing themselves into the defensive players and getting to the free-throw line.
“Then I think the officials adjusted to that – but now maybe going the other way. There are a lot of guys who are fouling in the restricted area and the defense is getting the benefit of the doubt. So I’m curious to see how that changes.”
That will be one thing to watch, but you can bet there will be others. It will be interesting to see the league’s new focus, we just know it’s not flopping.
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 19
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 18