Sep 16, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
Each year about this time, the NBA coaches get together for a series of meetings in Chicago — consider it a little meeting where the coaches just talk shop for a few days with their guard down. Relatively.
Part of it is fun — you can get fitted for a suit, the coaches all go out to dinner together.
Another part of it is work, such as going over the league’s officiating “points of emphasis” for the upcoming season. That’s when the NBA tells the coaches what rule they are going to start to really enforce this season (something that often kind of reverts to form halfway through the season). For example a couple years ago it was the quick technical for anyone seen as showing up an official (something that is now inconsistently enforced).
“After a summer of watching our games [from last year], watching how the restricted area’s being officiated is always something I’m concerned with. I think initially the offensive player was getting the benefit and they were throwing themselves into the defensive players and getting to the free-throw line.
“Then I think the officials adjusted to that – but now maybe going the other way. There are a lot of guys who are fouling in the restricted area and the defense is getting the benefit of the doubt. So I’m curious to see how that changes.”
That will be one thing to watch, but you can bet there will be others. It will be interesting to see the league’s new focus, we just know it’s not flopping.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 0
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 10
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 54
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14