Sep 16, 2013, 2:50 AM EDT
Cleveland has its sights set on one of the last couple playoff spots in the East next season. To get there is going to take more than just the “Kyrie Irving Show” — he’s going to need help. Particularly help along the front line.
Reports have both power forwards for Cleveland ready to go for the season.
In the case of Varejao, who missed most of last season with a leg injury, the Plain Dealer reports he has been cleared to get back on the practice court.
I hear that Anderson Varejao was been cleared for all basketball activities when the Cavs open training camp in a few weeks. Varejao missed 57 games last season because of a leg injury followed by blood clots. In the last three seasons, he has played only 81 games … and missed 149 … due to various injuries. So it’s hard to count on him….
But when Varejao has been on the court — especially the last two seasons — he has been terrific. Yes, it’s only 50 total games, but he’s averaged 13.0 rebounds and 12.5 points, shooting 49 percent from the field.
The Cavaliers might consider trading Varejao as we move closer to the trade deadline if he can prove healthy. That’s only if Bennett — the Cavaliers’ No. 1 pick — is ready to go. And apparently he is, according to the same report.
The Cavs top draft pick, Bennett has been in town. He is working out, playing some half court basketball with his new teammates. He appears fully recovered from his shoulder surgery and is expected to be ready for the opening of camp. The other players have been impressed by Bennett’s mid-range shooting touch and his quickness driving to the basket for a 6-foot-8, 250-pounder.
Of course the key to the Cavaliers front line is Andrew Bynum, and whether he will be ready to go when the games matter is not yet known (he is in Cleveland working out). But having Varejao and Bennett ready to go will be a big boost.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 57
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59