Sep 15, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Casual fans of the game aren’t the only ones to struggle with understanding the poor decisions made by young twenty-somethings with enough physical skills and talent to earn multiple NBA contracts.
Go ahead and count Tracy McGrady in that same group as the rest of us.
McGrady will likely make the basketball Hall of Fame at some point, but he believes the game has changed since the prime of his playing days. He laments the number of “knuckleheads” who don’t appreciate the talent they’ve been blessed with or the opportunity that they’ve been given, and doesn’t get why players in the league would risk it all over some off-the-court nonsense.
“You’ve got some guys in the league now who are just knuckleheads,” McGrady said. “What turns me off is guys doing the wrong thing. Just the legal part of it, hanging out, getting these DUIs, marijuana — all that crazy stuff, just doing the wrong thing, setting a bad example for the young guys … I don’t quite understand it. I take a guy like (Michael) Beasley. Had all the potential in the world but he’s not level-headed. He just doesn’t get it. And a very talented player. But where else are you going to make this type of money doing something you love to do every day, take care of your family and play basketball. I mean, are you serious? You get millions of dollars for it and you mess these opportunities up? I don’t get it.”
Again, join the club.
No one will ever understand why a player with Beasley’s talent and upside makes the decisions that he does, or why he would choose to play with a level of apathy that would seem unconscionable to those outside of the professional basketball circles.
McGrady may come off to some as a crotchety old man here, but former players know better than anyone the gifts that are given to professional athletes. And throwing those away, no matter the reason, will continue to perplex those of us on the outside looking in — and even some on the inside, as well.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 17
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12