Sep 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
It’s been a strange NBA offseason, in that two newly-hired head coaches found their names in the news due to run-ins with the law.
At least one of them has now been exonerated.
Pistons head coach Maurice Cheeks was reportedly involved in a domestic violence incident last month, and although he was not arrested or charged with a crime, when the police are called to your home and then you head down to the station for questioning, your name will end up in a headline if there’s even a small amount of fame attached to it.
The formal update is that the investigation has been completed, and Cheeks won’t be charged.
From the Detroit Free Press:
Detroit Pistons coach Maurice Cheeks will not be charged in a domestic incident that occurred Aug. 30 in Birmingham, Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper told the Free Press today.
Cheeks went to the Birmingham police station for questioning and was released after police were called to a Woodward Avenue address. He was not arrested. Birmingham police conducted an investigation and presented its findings to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office.
Cooper said the witness in the investigation was uncooperative with prosecutors and refused to press charges. “She left the state and refused to cooperate,” Cooper said.
Cheeks can hopefully put all of this behind him now.
We’re still awaiting word of a resolution in the other case that involved an NBA head coach this summer: Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer was arrested and charged with a DUI back on August 28.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 4
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9