Sep 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
It’s been a strange NBA offseason, in that two newly-hired head coaches found their names in the news due to run-ins with the law.
At least one of them has now been exonerated.
Pistons head coach Maurice Cheeks was reportedly involved in a domestic violence incident last month, and although he was not arrested or charged with a crime, when the police are called to your home and then you head down to the station for questioning, your name will end up in a headline if there’s even a small amount of fame attached to it.
The formal update is that the investigation has been completed, and Cheeks won’t be charged.
From the Detroit Free Press:
Detroit Pistons coach Maurice Cheeks will not be charged in a domestic incident that occurred Aug. 30 in Birmingham, Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper told the Free Press today.
Cheeks went to the Birmingham police station for questioning and was released after police were called to a Woodward Avenue address. He was not arrested. Birmingham police conducted an investigation and presented its findings to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office.
Cooper said the witness in the investigation was uncooperative with prosecutors and refused to press charges. “She left the state and refused to cooperate,” Cooper said.
Cheeks can hopefully put all of this behind him now.
We’re still awaiting word of a resolution in the other case that involved an NBA head coach this summer: Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer was arrested and charged with a DUI back on August 28.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 15
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 66
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 51
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4